Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

...I... remember a... necklace. It was... beautiful...

A labradorite orb entwined in a gold wire hung from a golden chain. Soft sunlight filtering through the forest foliage glinted off the pice of jewelry. Small, pale hands held it up.

Someone put it around my neck. The metal was cold, but their hands were warm...They... said something...

"When we are older, I'll find you again and make you my bride!" the voice of a small boy echoed.

...Cool, blue-grey eyes... a warm, gentle smile... They made me... happy...

An overcast befell the peaceful clearing in the verdant woods. The wind sped up and made the trees dance.

...It was a promise...

A flash of lightning parted the storm clouds in the sky. The thunder came soon after. Many of the animal residents ran for cover. The air was dry with no sign of rain.

...Pale, yellow eyes...a devious, brutal smirk... They sent shivers down my spine...

Loud clammering of men and metal drowned out the sounds of the forest. "That is it guards! That disgraceful creature stole our priceless heirloom!" the dramatic hollering of a young boy projected.

...I... I thought they were a friend...That they cared.

Malicious laughter laced the atmosphere. It was accompanied by heavy panting and the pounding of paws on dirt.

...They said they were going to help... They said that... that they loved me...

The laughter turned into weeping. Twigs snapped and a trail of blood-stained foliage littered the forest floor. The sound of metal grew closer with every labored breath.

They said I would be their queen...

Heartwrenching sobs echoed, "Wait! I didn't mean for this to happen! It wasn't me, I swear! Come back, please! I will fix everything! PLEASE!"

I won't...I won't listen.

An arrow flew. It lodged itself into its target.

...The pain. Everything hurt so much. My vision went red. I heard this strange conglomeration of voices. Then, I heard screams. They sounded like they were in pain...pain...

There was so much pain.