Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

Vanajja jolted awake. Her breathing was shallow and quick. She whipped her head around to look at her surroundings. Vanajja tugged on her restraints. Loud clamors accompanied her low growls. Loro turned corner trying to catch his breath. He swallowed. Loro kept going from looking at her to the archway leading out of the room.

"Untie me," commanded Vanajja. The sound of more voices blurred together. It grew louder steadily. A magical aura obscured the medical table in a deep blood red then vanished all in the span of heartbeat. In the next beat, Valgus rounded the corner, The storm grey eyes of the elf cleared. His grip on the wall went lax as a small smile crept onto his face. Aavistus and Nağme showed up behind him.

"You had everyone worried there," Valgus quivered. Loro went to Vanajja's side and began to unfasten her from the bed.

Vanajja scoffed, "You and I both know that is not entirely true." She gave Aavistus the side-eye as she swung her legs over the edge of the medical table. She rubbed her wrists.

"Just because I do not care for you existence does not mean I wish for your death," Aavistus countered.

Vanajja rolled her eyes. She was stiff when she tried to stand. Her legs buckled. Loro and Valgus went to either side of Vanajja to support her. She shrugged them off and hissed, "Thanks, but I can handle this myself."

"Of course, Miss Vanajja," Valgus smiled at her.

"You still must air on the side of caution," Loro insisted. "If you don't, you could collapse again."

"Hmph," Vanajja snorted. She kept her eyes locked on the corner of the room where a cobweb sat. "I'm not some feeble runt."

"Miss, please understand. You could cause permanent strain to your body if you don't pace yourself more."

Vanajja glared down the fae. Her nose crinkled as she clicked her tongue, "Fine."

"If you are done trying to fight your healer, then there is a meal waiting for you with a debriefing," Aavistus chimed in. "You have been asleep for over twenty-four hours."

"I recall," Vanajja groaned. She made her way out of the recovery room to the dining table with rigid and sluggish movements. As she sat at the rickety table, Spivi placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of her. It had a mixture of dried berries, herbs, and cured meat stirred with the grains.

"I-it may not taste all that great, but the berries will help with the stiffness in your joints and the herbs are good to alleviate fatigue. Oh! Meat also gives a boost of energy to get through the day," Spivi sputtered the explanation.

Vanajja grabbed a spoon and started eating. Through sloppy mouthfuls she said, "Food doesn't need to taste great, just needs to be edible." Spivi chuckled. Vanajja was quick to lick the bowl clean.

"You must be starving, Vanajja. Spivi, could you be a lamb and scrounge up another bowl for her?" Nağme asked the young host.

"I'll go see what I can do," Spivi perked up. Before he could go rustle up more food, Vanajja stopped him. She tugged the boy back by his wrist.

"I won't be taking anymore, so don't waste your time," Vanajja told him.

Spivi and Nağme both looked confused. Spivi asked, "Why not?"

"Eat the damn food yourself," was all she had to say.

"And I've healed from worse. I don't need more food. You, on the other hand, look like a piece of twine blowing through the wind. Eat the damn food so ya ain't a runt no more," Vanajja demanded. "Now fuck off and help your old man."