Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

The early morning light shone on the path before the four survivors. Vanajja led the others in the direction of the village. Nağme kept a great distance from the intimidating maiden. She seemed to be looking everywhere except in the direction Vanajja was in.

Valgus motioned for Aavistus to bend down. When the avinian did so, Valgus whispered into his ear, "What do you think happened?"

"Women are mysterious. Especially that one," Aavistus made a simple head gesture towards Vanajja as he whispered back. "My presumption is that they quarreled over some trivial matter, Your Highness."

"Quit your yabbering. We are here," Vanajja cut them off. "And that is the last of that fucking 'Your Highness' this and 'My Prince' that crap. You are now just some shitty merchant boy. Got it?"

"It will be hard, but I understand the importance of keeping the Pri- I mean- Valgus' true identity a secret," Aavistus said.

"Ooo, I cannot wait to perform again!" Nağme excitedly giggled.

"Valgus and I will try and gather information on where we are," Aavistus stated.

Nağme nervously asked, "What should Vanajja do?"

"I will be guarding your feathery ass," Vanajja chimed in rather harshly. She transformed into a dog as she did the day before.

Aavistus scoffed, "Why disguise yourself like that? Just waltz in looking like your usual unkempt self."

The briar pelted dog looked at Aavistus. She opened her mouth and said, "I do not want people treating me like I am some spectical because of my horns."

Valgus went slack-jawed. "How...how are you talking as a dog?"

"Magic you dumbass."

"Even mages that are able to shift into a certain animal cannot do that," Aavistus said in his bewilderment.

"That is why I don't like doing it," Vanajja grumbled. "Now get going barnacle heads. Song-Bird, follow me."

The scruffy dog padded along in the direction of the square they stationed themselves at yesterday. Nağme scurried to walk beside her. The boys walked in the opposite direction.

Nağme walked in silence a slight bit behind Vanajja. The tense atmosphere was suffocating. Nağme took a deep breath in. As she exhaled, she began to apologize, "I am sorry for last night. I-I just wanted to create a nice repartee since we are both girls. I did not mean to bring up such a difficult topic. Especially after what occurred a few days prior. I will respect when you no longer wish to talk about a subject from now on."

Vanajja huffed as she continued to walk, but she slowed down so that she walked beside the avinian. Nağme smiled softly as they approached the spot from before. Nağme set up her quiver to catch coins and unhooked her lyre. After tuning her instrument, Nağme cleared her throat and began singing a jocose song.

Vanajja found herself a shady little spot to lay down. A large crowd formed around Nağme. It was larger than the one yesterday with some familiar faces and many new ones. A particularly familiar face was that of the fairy boy. He flew over the heads of the other spectators in order to land beside Nağme. The two of them began to dance together happily. Nağme's angelic voice filled the square. Vanajja appeared to be flicking to the beat.

The sounds of stall owners calling out to passerby about their wares mingled with Nağme's singing. A unique, light-hearted atmosphere traveled down the roads and through the windows.