Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

"I hate boats!" Valgus heaved. He was on the mattress with his legs propped up the wall and his hands hiding his facial features.

"I can play a song if you'd like," Nağme offered, grabbing the golden lyre from her belt. "It may help."

"No thank you Nağme. For that to work, I feel like you'd have to sing nonstop for the entire voyage." Valgus rolled onto his stomach and dug his elbows into the mattress. "I'd rather go explore the ship instead of just sitting here."

"Ugh! I'll go see the captain. I will not stand bunking with that, that, she-pirate!" Aavistus complained. He marched towards the door, but just when he went to grab the door it swung open to reveal Vanajja standing in Aavistus' way. She wore a scowl she stepped inside the door frame.

"Lights out. That means you will be staying' here until dawn," Vanajja informed as she pushed the rickety door shut.

"But I wished to sing underneath the stars tonight," Nağme whined. Her wings were partly spread out so they hung over the edge of the top bunk.

"Too bad. You're gonna have to miss them. I hear they'll be out tomorrow night, and the night after that, and the night after that," Vanajja said with the sarcasm piled on thick. She locked the door and secured the key to the same leather strap her dagger was hooked to before heading straight to her hammock. "Here." Vanajja carelessly tossed a ratty blanket with numerous holes and frayed edges to Nağme and Valgus each.

"Now listen here you-"Aavistus began before the last tattered blanket landed on his face. He ripped it off with rage as he exclaimed, "This is not the way people of our status should be treated!"

Vanajja gave an annoyed sigh as she pinched the bridge of her nose, "We are treating everyone like this to hide the fact the bloody Prince of Briarvi is on this shitty vessel! Besides your little entourage and Lord Aduv, only the capt'n and I know that!" She pointed to the elf boy who was peering through some holes in the blanket he had at the two. "Fucking all the other blubber brained bastards think your just some entitled rich kid going on a gallivant! So you should be fucking grateful you ain't getting put to work!"

Aavistus scowled and clenched the blanket in his fist, "I shall not sleep with a flea-ridden cloth."

"Fine," Vanajja said in the sweetest tone her flat voice could muster. In one fluid motion, Vanajja took the blanket from Aavistus and growled, "You can freeze tonight."

Aavistus' feathers began to fluff up as his face got red with anger. Nağme reached out and softly patted his head.

"Breakfast will be served at dawn. If you're late, you don't eat. I suggest that you get as much sleep as you can," Vanajja advised them. She gently leaned her swords in the corner next to her hammock before she climbed in. She took the blanket intended for Aavistus and curled up.

"Disgraceful," Aavistus huffed as he sat in the bottom hammock.

"Cheer up pal. We'll be in Farulia in less than two weeks' time," Valgus tried to be optimistic.

"Not nearly fast enough." The three tried to get as comfortable as they could in the small quarters and eventually fell asleep.

~~~~~

The squelch of the grey oatmeal was hypnotizing to Valgus. He played with the mushy substance methodically with his wooden spoon.

"I think I'd rather go hungry," Nağme sighed. Dark circles were under her eyes as she laid her head on the table.

"Huh? Oh, yeah," Valgus grunted. His eyes were locked onto Vanajja. She was on the other side of the room sat beside the captain. She ate the "oatmeal" before her with vigor.