04| Chapter Four

Jungkook’s POV

I woke up to the sound of the rooster crowing from the back of the house. Lazily, I forced myself up, heading to the bathroom to clean myself. Being in halmeoni’s house made me an early person and a hardworking one unlike me who used to play video games till dawn with Bangtan hyungs whenever we had no schedule planned for us. 

Though I needed to wake up earlier than usual while being in this village, I loved it here. Despite having many house chores and manwork to do in halmeoni’s house, I fancied the peace it led me to. Unlike being in Seoul, I could relax and be myself here without bothering what people would have said about me. 

Getting myself into a pair of short pants and a black t-shirt, I quickly made my way to the back lawn to get a few oak wood. 

I needed to light up the fire before anything else so that we could start cooking immediately. Plus, the fire could help keep us warm while preparing the ingredients. The cold breeze was killing me so I put my jacket on top of the t-shirt that I wore.

Halmeoni was nowhere to be seen that morning so I decided to prepare a simple breakfast on my own. We had a few leftover veggies from last night’s dinner so I started to mix them up with rice and an egg before cooking them on the pot lid. Little did I realise hyung’s friends would arrive that morning.

Aha! We still have the meat!

Jungkook-ah, why don’t you remember it sooner. 

It’s probably still frozen.

I went into the house to fetch the meat from the fridge to unfreeze it for lunch later. It turned out that halmeoni had put it outside and it was completely unfreezed. 

Halmeoni, you’re the best.

As I was about to retrieve the meat, I heard a voice screaming from outside. 

I put the meat back on top of the counter and quickly went out of the house to find out what was happening. Fear crept in at the thought of my grandmother who would have fainted outside and someone could not carry her. She’s a little weighed for a woman at the age of 70 years old.

Halmeoni, there’s nothing wrong with you, right? 

A few moments back

“Hana-ya, what’s wrong? Hana-ya! Open your eyes! I can’t possibly carry you inside!” Areum panicked at the sight of Hana fainted on their way to halmeoni’s house. They were just a few metres away from the gate. 

Areum lightly tapped on Hana’s face to wake her up, “Hana-ya! Don’t do this to me! Wake up now!” Realising Hana had totally passed out and there was nothing Areum could do to bring her to consciousness, Areum decided to seek help from Jungkook’s grandmother who would probably be inside of the house.

As she stepped into the gate, she screamed out for help, “Halmeoni! Halmeoni! Are you inside?”

Instead of halmeoni, Jungkook came into Areum’s sight as he rushed out of the door looking a little worried and nervous. How long had it been since the last time she met Jungkook that she was surprised to see the changes in him. He used to be smaller than her back then in school, in contrast to his big figure now. 

Without bothering to observe the changes on Jungkook further, Areum called out for Jungkook immediately, “Jungkook! Help me! My friend has fainted. Can you help me carry her into the house?” Areum quickly showed the way to Jungkook when he put on his slippers, ready to do as she had asked for.

|¶|

Jungkook’s POV

Somehow I was glad nothing had happened to grandmother. I did not know what I would do if anything happened to her. I could not bear to lose her. No.