Chapter 11

Wren's POV

Dylan and Keegan were in a heap on the floor taking their shoes off when I joined them in the house. In the time it took me to slip off my own shoes, they had managed to scatter shoes and socks, Dylan's backpack was in the middle of the floor, and they were already halfway to the family room. It never ceased to amaze me just how quickly they could destroy a room.

"Put your shoes where they belong, please." Dylan rolled his eyes but moved to put both sets of shoes in the basket I keep by the door. "Bring me your homework folder when you're done," I told him as I carried Juni into the family room, following behind an excited Keegan who was beelining for his toy bin.

I heard the zipper being pulled open as he said, "I don't have homework. It's the first day."

As he rounded the corner, I held my hand out for it. "I'm sure you don't, but it's a good habit to get back into. Also, you should have gotten papers from Mrs. Frazier, shouldn't you?" There was a cheeky glimmer in his eyes-- he had, and he'd forgotten. Smirking, I wriggled my fingers at him. "That's what I thought. Hand it over."

There were colorful fliers advertising sports clubs and an eco club. A letter discussing first week expectations. A schedule with their library and STEM adventure days listed. Reminders for upcoming PTA meetings and a request for classroom volunteers. I shuffled through them and made sure there was nothing that needed to be signed before handing it back to Dylan to put away and releasing him to play or read.

"Dylan, can you watch Keegan while I make dinner?" I ask and he nods as he reaches for the remote while pulling his book out of his backpack. Keegan is gleefully playing with his toy cars and I can't help but kiss him on the forehead before reminding him, "Those are cars, not planes. Don't throw them, okay?"

He doesn't react, probably trying to ignore me. I think that's just the toddler version of plausible deniability.

Juni joins me in the kitchen, taking up her spot in the pack n' play with some toys while I start prepping ingredients for the last meal I have planned-- a veggie filled spaghetti sauce. I'm not an expert on cooking, I'd never be up to snuff in a fancy restaurant, but I can make ground beef, crushed tomatoes, and zucchini blend together into a sauce that even a two year old will eat without complaining. It's one of Dylan's favorite meals and I had planned it especially for his first day of school, knowing that it would cheer him up.

Once I have the mixture simmering on the stove and the water pot on to boil, I float around the kitchen, cleaning up the mess I've already made. My phone buzzed in my pocket, startling me and I pulled it out, confused. No one ever texts me, not even Sheila. Kota's name flashed on the screen before it turned black. My heart pounded as I looked at it; I hadn't thought he'd be immediately trying to text me.

Kota: Do you need anything from our school supply closet?

My brow furrowed. They were really serious about offering up supplies that his poor mother had bought for him and his sister.

Wren: No, it's fine. I'm hitting up the store after school tomorrow.

Thinking that was it, I stir the sauce and wander over to Juni to talk to her for a few minutes while I keep an eye on the stove. In the background I can hear Dylan's show and Keegan making car noises and occasionally exclaiming followed by a small crashing sound. I briefly consider going to check on them but push it aside. He's a stereotypical toddler boy-- made of nothing but dirt, chaos, and noise. Loud comes with the territory and Dylan wouldn't hesitate to let me know if Keegan was throwing things.