Chapter 16

"M-Mitch?" Di makapaniwalang sambit ko.

He smiled, showing the familiar dimples on the corner of his lips.

He looked different from the boy I knew when I was fourteen years old. He definitely is taller and more muscular and gone was the softness of the youth on his face. But his eyes and smile are all still the same from what I remember.

"What? You didn't see me for seven years and no hug?" he said playfully and I immediately gave him a brief hug.

He squeezed my body against him before letting me go.

"Sit," he gestured on the chair in front of his desk as he sat on the opposite chair. "So, you want to be a nurse?"

Tumango ako. "Yes," tipid na sagod ko. I stared at him still unable to comprehend the situation.

He leaned his arm on the desk. "I was surprised to learn about you interning here as a nurse. Akala ko hindi mo na ulit gugustuhing pumasok ng ospital after what happened to Karina," banayad ang boses na sabi niya.

"Well, ano bang sa sabi nila? Face your fears?" natatawang sagot ko. I guess I can laugh about it now that Karina has fully recovered.

He smiled, staring at my face as if refamiliarizing himself with it.

His eyes followed my hand as I tucked the hair that fell on my face to the back of my ear.

"So, Mrs Rossi now, huh?" His smile was gone and he looked almost sad.

Wala sa loob na napatingin ako sa dalawang singsing na nasa daliri ko.

Marahang hinawakan niya ang kamay ko at tinitigan ang mga singsing.

"He got the opal right, atleast," mahina ang boses na sabi niya. He squeezed my hand a little before letting it go.

He sighed, running his hand through his hair. "How did this happen? Twenty-two ka lang. You're not even done with college yet," nagtatakang tanong niya.

I gave him a sad smile. "It just...happened," sagot ko. I'm not about to tell him everything. I'm too embarrassed.

I always believed that Mitchell was my first love. He was nineteen when I met him in the hospital where we constantly brought Karina. He was kind, and patient and was already a medical student despite his age. I remember him explaining something about an academic accelerated program. He was beyond his years. We lost contact after he went to Harvard to finish school.

I'm not going to make our reunion about me and my complicated marriage.

"How about you? A thoracic surgeon? Alam kong genius ka pero hindi ko alam na super genius ka pala," nakangiting sabi ko.

Familiar ang apilido niya sa akin pero hindi ko akalain na magiging surgeon na agad siya sa edad niya kaya hindi ko siya naisip nang banggigin ni Ms Jill ang apilido niya.

He stared at me for a moment before giving me a dimpled smile. "That's one way to put it," sabi niya. "I was already in my last year of med school when I met you and I went to the US to finish my specialty. Let's just say I worked hard and now we're here."

Tumango ako. "Well, I'm proud of you. I always knew you were going to become someone great."

"Did you really?" nakataas ang kilay na tanong niya.