Chapter 13 (Tom's Pov)

On Tuesday morning I sat in the Great Hall to spend time writing. Glancing down the table from where I was seated, I noticed Christine Hale was sitting with her usual acquaintances. I turned down to begin writing, but was drawn to take another look.

Something about Christine made it hard for me to not look. I examined her face and kind smile. Her green eyes glistened underneath the long eyelashes encircling them. She tucked her silky blonde hair behind her ears, revealing her soft lips. She looked delicate, fragile like a porcelain doll.

In that moment of admiring her beauty, I realized Christine Hale made me weak. She made me feel things I couldn't understand. I wanted to hold her, spend time with her, learn everything about her. I wanted Christine to admire me, think of me the way I thought of her. I never dealt with these emotions before.

Plenty of girls fancied me and gave me attention, but something about Christine just hurt. It hurt to see her with Charles Ruetic. It hurt to see her walking unhappily through the corridors on Monday. If it was anyone else I would find pleasure in their sadness, why was she an exception? But as much as it hurt, I got unexpected highs from her presence, her touch.

Many people idolized me, but the slightest bit of her attention made me feel more special than any of my followers' praise. When others touched me, I turned away feeling uncomfortable and resentful. How could they think it was ok laying their hands on me? But when Christine embraced me that night in the astronomy tower, I felt the opposite. Comfortable and warm, loved.

Not loved as in adored and admired, it was more personal than that. A type of compassion I had never experienced. How long would these emotions torment me for? I didn't even think it would be possible for me to feel them. I was well aware I had been conceived under a love potion, shouldn't that protect me from the weaknesses of empathy and care?

I came out of my deep thought when Avery, one of my followers, sat down next to me.

"Hey Riddle.", he said, opening up a book. Out of all my followers, Avery was the easiest company to endure.

"Look at this", he continued sliding me the book and pointing to a paragraph.

"The sorcerer's stone." I replied, "it allows you to live forever."

"Yep! Isn't that fascinating?", he exclaimed trying to get an excited reaction out of me.

"I've already read about it Avery.", I stated and placed my diary in my bag. So much for getting any writing done.

"You're so boringly studious.", he said, "oh by the way, Malcom, Alister and I are all heading to Hogsmeade tonight. I was wondering if you wanted to join us?", Avery asked.

Did he say Malcom? He was a bright Slytherin that I hadn't recruited yet. Plus, after what happened with Connor Olfer giving my diary to Charles, I would have to stay within the Slytherin house when seeking followers for now.

"Sure, I'll join you later." I replied plainly and then got up to leave. Avery had a satisfied smile on his face, he wasn't used to me accepting his invitations.