Chapter 14

(Back to Christine's POV)

It had been a few days since the incident with Shreya had occurred. I noticed that she distanced herself from me, but with that she started accompanying Charles more often. Maybe that was her way of 'getting me back', but it didn't bother me.

I had a nice time with him, but he was still Charles Ruetic. Honestly, him and Shreya would be good together, and even though I wasn't interested in Charles we were still friendly with each other. I said hello to him in the corridors often, and even congratulated him on Gryffindor's Quidditch win against Hufflepuff. We both seemed content with the casual friendship we started keeping up. 

As for my conversation with Selene, I noticed her concerns about Malcom didn't have anything to do with how I treated him, but how he treated me. After she brought up the fact he spoke of me alot, I began taking notice of Malcolm's behavior. In class I would catch him watching me often, and whenever he was talking to Selene and I was with them, he looked for my reaction and not hers.

It was a relief to know it wasn't my fault, therefore Selene couldn't possibly blame me for something I didn't have control over. I wasn't stupid though, even if she couldn't blame me, she could still be jealous of me. This was made clear by how she started addressing me, yet she was never out right mean, so I couldn't stay mad at her. We had a close friendship, some stupid boy wasn't going to ruin it. 

    All this drama was nothing compared to the news that I would soon receive though.

"Christine! Christine where are you?!", Olive yelled running into our dorm room. "You just missed it, Selene and I found Endura Manson paralyzed on the fourth flour!", she fell on her bed out of breath.

"What, paralyzed?", I asked, closing the potions book I had been studying.

"Yes! Well at least I think so..." she continued frantically, " We ran to find a teacher or nurse or anyone, they dismissed us when we showed them what we found. Obviously me and Selene turned the corner and lingered for a while to hear what they were discussing. Professor Dumbledore was saying something about muggle borns and petrification."

My face fell with a look of confusion, but interest, "Could it be some kind of dark magic? A potion... a spell maybe?"

"I was wondering if it could be another student, but who would be out to get Endura?", Olive said uncertainly.

"You said something about muggle borns didn't you? Isn't she one?", I replied.

"I'm not sure, I'm not friends with many Hufflepuffs.", Olive giggled.

I threw a pillow at her, "What if she dies or something!?"

"Oh please, I doubt it's that serious. Surely they would have sent out a warning to the school if it was. Maybe they'll announce it tomorrow, but i'm hoping it's not too big of a deal."

I nodded in agreement, "Where's Selene by the way?"

"Oh, she saw Malcolm while we were walking back here and ran off with him.", Olive answered. "You'll probably see her at dinner. Why do you ask?"

"No reason,  just curious.", I responded, and began cleaning up some of my belongings scattered about the room.

While I picked up a Slytherin scarf from the floor, Olive questioned me, "I feel like there's something going on between you two. What are you hiding?"

I sighed, "Don't worry, there's nothing I can do about it anyway."

Olive didn't seem satisfied with that answer. Changing the subject I continued, "Wanna head outside before dinner? It's the first day of October, it will get colder soon."

"Alright, but this conversation isn't over.", she said. With that we left the Slytherin dormitories while discussing the endless possibilities of what could have happened to Endura Manson.