An Oath to be Kept

Was it foreboding that the sky held a red ominous halo?

Zikshita had doubts about what exactly her master had intended for her to do with these people. At first, she thought his words were a mere ruse and that he intended to use these humans later for food. However, his intent was clear, and she felt it coursing through her body like a wave of confusion. This interpretation was unique for her and everyone else as she saw the confused looks on their faces. If this is the master's will then she must ensure it was done. She wondered what Brad would of make of it if he were here.

Alas, she would have to do better for him and her to please the master. She split them into two groups in accordance with what was instructed and gave the men strict instructions. The master would not forgive them for a human's disappearance. They all must make it there alive, or they must die to protect the master's word. She left Barry number two to get the job done as he was the next capable in charge with the death of Brad and a human to act as a guide.

They initially walked together in the beginning for the trip. It was a sluggish pace that Zikshita was not accustomed to. It was a test, that's what it had to be as she fought to keep her hunger in check. Humans were weak, lazy, and sluggish, nothing more than cattle. They had to be fed and taken care of despite this walk. They did nothing but whine and complain as their level of fear dropped. Still, they stayed far away from them.

Zikshita's eyes were fixated on Alice, who she had noticed rotated between two men. One's name was Eric, and the other was Andrew. Every servant observed her, noting her likes, dislikes, and who she associated herself with. She was almost like a ray of sunshine to these people. Was it because she was young that they saw her as hope? It merited further investigation.

Before the two groups had seperated the young girl surprised her. Gripped tightly with in her hand was an old book. She approached them with almost no visible fear.

"Are you Zikshita?"

"Yes," Zikshita responded.

"Thank you for taking care of my father," she said before quickly being shifted off by the man called Eric.

Zikshita pondered the moment for a while until they had set off again. After both groups had seperated, the speed had picked up slightly. She had far fewer people to want longer breaks. Zikshita didn't sense them at all, but standing before them now were two women with black wings. The humans like fools did not know how to react and those to stepped to close to them were cut down. She heard the humans' pathetic screams of shock as she remembered the faces of the two women. These were the women from that tower. The odds of winning this battle were low in that case only one thing was off priority to her. Protecting Alice with her life. If they knew where they were going. It could only mean the mansion was not safe. She would have to get the girl back to her father. The others as if reading her mind step forward as she grabbed Alice in her hand and snatched the man called Andrew that she was standing with. Another servant grabbed Eric these were the only people she could save.

The pair both drew weapons as she flew towards where she knew her master to be.

***

They were soaring through the sky as fast as they could. She no longer heard the sounds of battle, she no longer heard pitiful human screams, and she no longer felt connections to her fellow servants.

Had they already slaughtered everyone?

The human man kept squirmed in her arm. She would need to create a distraction for them or get them both pinned down, but how. The other human would have to break for his own. They released Eric on top of a nearby building. He had complained but it was pointless they would be no one to carry him. The servant who held him sacrificed itself to grant her more time. She was trying her best to bind the monsters close by to her, but she was not like her master. She managed a  mere fraction of what he could do. Those that beaconed to her call, Zikshita wasted no time in sending them to there doom. A sudden clank sound caught her attention as Zikshita looked back to see that the two women were closing in. She knew that they were after the child. 

 "We must go over there." Alice pointed. "They have to chase us there."

The girl pointed  towards an open pasture on the ground with such conviction that Zikishta asked her, "what's there?"

"A trap, Enêpsigos told me in the book," she said, "lead all the bad people there."

"How does it work?"

"I don't fully know," she said, "lead them there and let it work on its own."

Zikishta decided to trust the girl. It seemed like the only logical thing to do as the two women came swooping down behind her. She avoided the deadly attacks, but not without being injured in the process. She grimaced in pain and was met by the laughter of the two women. Her wing faltered as she dropped Andrew a few feet from the ground first and then braced herself as she landed using her body as a cushion for the girl.

"You might as well surrender the girl to us."

"Its already over, you are just fighting the inevitable."

Zikishta got back on her feet. "I will never surrender the girl to you."