Chapter 13 - Endless Scheme's.

Darius didn’t know what to do. He looked at the induced infant, and it was so small and undeveloped that the hands were still folded on its chest, and it was wrapped in a little blue blanket. It woke up and started to cry, but it sounded like a baby kitten. It didn’t have developed lungs, and it wasn’t able to cry that loud. Chad picked her up, and gave her a small bottle that the nurse had already made at the hospital.

“Whoops. I gotta go.” The nurse said, getting up. “I have another shift.”

“Give me an update on Christa when you leave. And don’t bring those drugs inside of the hospital!” Chad said.

“Why the fuck would I bring drugs inside of a hospital. God Chad you’re so stupid sometimes!” Laura shouted as she slammed the door. Chad laughed at the doctor, then looked at the child he was feeding. The child had a small wound from the bullet that the doctor removed.

“Christa was going to name her Kaylie.”

“Chad. You gotta return that baby, man.” Darius said.

“Since when do you have a conscience?” Chad joked.

“Chad i’m not joking. I’m serious!” He snapped. “Christa is hurting! Don’t forget that there’s a mother out there grieving over her child that isn’t even dead.”

“They took Neveah away from me! Do you really think that I give a damn about what Christa and Roc misses?” Chad shouted. “I miss Neveah, but she took custody away from me even though I begged her not to! And now, you don’t get to have your child until I say so. End of story!”

Darius sighed in disbelief as he gave Chad a disgusted look. He took a deep breath, and glanced at the induced infant.

“You’re not going to hurt her, are you?”

“No. I don’t hurt babies, man. Trust me.”

The nurse returned to the hospital, and walked into Christa’s room like nothing happened. She was going home the next day, so she was glad that she wouldn’t have to relish and absorb the guilt of inducing and cutting out the baby in her stomach.

“Would you like anything to eat or drink, Mrs. Landers?” Laura said.

“No.” She sighed.

“Alright. Just call me if you need anything.”

“Actually, there is something that I need!” Christa said, stopping Laura from walking outside of her door.

“Yes?”

“I think I might want to have a funeral for my baby.” She said in a sad tone. “Will you show me her body at the coroners office?”

Laura’s heart stopped as her words set into her mind.

“I don’t think that you would want to see something like that.” Laura sighed. “The baby was riddled with multiple bullet wounds. I think that it’s best to just leave her there.”

“You know what, you’re right.” Christa sighed. “You’re right.”

Laura walked out of the room, and took a deep breath. She realized that she’d just dodged a major bullet. She was only a thread away from getting caught, but she was happy that she still had her coke from Chad.

The next day, Roc drove to pick up Neveah from preschool, then planned to go pick up Christa afterwards. He walked inside of the building, and prepared to be greeted at the door by Neveah’s mumble jumble words, and her beautiful smile.

But when he got there, it was the opposite of what he thought it was.

The teacher was at her desk with two police officers. He looked down at Neveah, who was standing next to them. They looked at Roc, then looked at the teacher who had a worried look on her face.