Love Sick Stomachache

"That's her."

"Wow. Nice legs."

"Hush. Do you want him to hear you?"

"Well, I guess she is pretty."

"That's the ice princess. She's going out with Nate! She's so lucky."

Well, I certainly didn't feel lucky anymore, I thought as the whispers grew louder. I was waiting for Misha in front of school, in my usual spot every morning, my eyes on a book. But I couldn't concentrate with all the gossip swirling around me. Fed up with chatter, I raised my eyes and glared at them. They all looked away from me but from time to time, they would sneak a glance my way.

I frowned. If my glare wasn't that effective anymore then I might be mellowing some.

"Hey!"

The voice was loud and impatient and it sounded as if it was directed to me. The whispers were instantly gone. I stiffened and then sighed. Please, not that voice, I thought to myself. Not this early. Please, please.

I whirled around. It was indeed Britney and her posse.

"I heard the good news," she began loudly, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "Congratulations."

Somebody strike me dead, I thought grimly. The whispers came back again and I knew Britney was doing this on purpose.

"Umm... thanks?" I said uncertainly.

"Now that he's yours," she purred, "Make sure he stays yours. I might have the mind to take him from you."

As if she could. The other girls giggled and flirted at every boy who passed by us. Blondie spotted the basketball captain and smiled seductively at him.

"Well, we gotta go. Let's go, girls."

They all said goodbye to me in chorus and went away, their high-heeled shoes clicking on the floor. I stared at their shoes. I guess they were not against school policy as long as they're leather.

"Ellen!"

Somebody tackled me from behind and I almost lost my balance. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw that it was Carmen.

"I heard!" she squealed happily. "You're finally together. How sweet."

I rubbed my ears. I hated it when she squeals.

"Thanks, I guess."

She nodded enthusiastically at me with a bright smile in her face.

"I got to go. See you in class, Ellen!"

I watched her leave unhappily. If I knew dating Nate was going to create such a big fuss, then I would have told him to make our relationship a secret. How could I have not anticipated this? After all, this school lived for gossip. And Nate was the favorite topic of everyone, after all. I sighed again. The whispers grew louder and I gritted my teeth in annoyance. Where the hell was Misha?

Finally, I saw her walking towards me with Matt in tow. Matt told her something that made her laugh. When she saw me, she gave me happy grin and rushed towards me, her beautiful blonde hair flowing behind her. Some of the guys began ogling her but then they saw Matt. They looked away.

"Hey, Ellie," she greeted, enveloping me in a hug. "Why do you look so grouchy this morning?"

Matt noticed the stares and whispers. He raised a questioning brow at me. I gave him a sullen look before pulling myself from Misha. Misha frowned at me.

"Are you riding the crimson wave?" she whispered loudly at me. "Because if you are, I have medicine here for the cramps."

Matt snorted in disbelief.