High School Never Ends

Nate's eyes clouded with tears. He took another step back from me, shaking his head vigorously. I didn't want to give up yet I didn't want him to see the pitiful creature I turned out to be so I spun around to leave. The pain in my heart was consuming me that it took all I have not to break down and beg for him to take me back.

But then, white, hot rage began to consume me.

How dare he do this to me? I thought furiously. I am not the fricking ice princess of the school for nothing. How dare he?

I picked up the nearest thing to me, my back hiding my movement from him. It was a vase. I had never been much of a violent person but Nate always seemed to bring the violence out of me. I wasn't going to let him tear me down without putting up a goddamn fight–

"I've been hoping for you, too."

I gasped, dropping the vase which shattered into thousand pieces.

I whirled around in disbelief, wondering if what I heard was true, praying to God that what he said was true. But, there he was, giving me a tender smile that I loved and missed, filling me with content and happiness.

He lifted his hands and I rushed quickly into his arms, sobbing uncontrollably. He held me tightly to his body before pulling back so he could bury his lips into mine. I kissed him back with all the passion inside me and reveled in the fact that it felt so right. It always felt right when I was with him.

When we ended the kiss, he kept holding me tightly; as if afraid I was going to bolt any second now. But, I wasn't going anywhere. Contented, I snuggled deeper as possible against his hard chest.

"I love you, Nate."

He sighed and dropped a kiss on my forehead. "I love you, Ellen."

I pulled back a little so that I could see his face.

"I missed you so much and I swear if you're not getting back together with me again, I'll cut you," I tearfully threatened him and was gifted with another smile.

"I'm not going anywhere, Ellen. And, since you asked so nicely, I'll be your boyfriend again," he said with a laugh.

I resumed crying and he embraced me again.

"You were so indifferent to me. I was so afraid."

"I'm sorry, Ellen," I heard him say. "Please stop crying. I know now that letting you go was stupid. I came here to think of the ways I could get you to take me back. But, when you appeared, I was surprised. It felt so surreal that I almost thought I was dreaming."

I sniffed. "You're a jerk."

He let out a strangled laugh. "I love you, too."

I didn't know how long we stayed like that, just hugging each other and afraid to let go.

"I'm still going to beat you up, though," I said as an afterthought.

"That vase you dropped was an antique. I wonder how you'll pay for that, babe."

I laughed nervously as I stared at the priceless wreckage on the floor. Then, he was kissing me again, the vase forgotten.

  ***********  

Misha was ecstatic to know that we were finally back together. I didn't even know they were waiting for us at the parking lot. Matt must have told Misha and Michael about telling me where Nate was and so they must have been waiting for the results.

Misha broke off from Matt's arms when she saw us approaching them. She looked hopefully for some sign that we were back together and when she saw our entwined hands, she squealed in delight.