What About Us

Nate's POV

"Where the fuck is he!" I bellowed, slamming my fist on the wall of the school's security office. "He hasn't been home for days. Nobody has seen him. It's like he vanished into thin air."

Matt looked up from his laptop that he connected to the security's main computer.

"He hasn't been attending his school in a month," he informed me. "Somehow, he got a uniform and masqueraded as a student here. Michael's got the guys to look for him but they haven't found him yet."

"Calm down, Nate," Michael said. "And please don't fricking destroy anything here. Bribing the security to leave is one thing, destroying school property is another."

I sat back down, still seething with rage. I ran my hand over my hair and sighed. I missed Ellen so much that it hurt. But I needed to find Leigh first, I thought grimly. I owed Ellen this.

After hearing the story from Matt about what happened to her mother and why she turned out to be cold and indifferent to everyone but Misha, I felt like the biggest asshole alive. If it weren't for me, she would still be living her life peacefully. But I had to fuck it all up. Misha had told Matt about it because she was worried about her best friend when she heard that Ellen's nightmares came back.

"I just want to go see her," I muttered sadly. "I miss her so much."

Michael sent me a pitying glance. "I know, buddy."

"There!" Matt pointed on one of the screens. It was Leigh walking among the crowd in the hallway with his head down, posing as one of the students.

"When was this?" I asked.

Matt's hands flew furiously over the keyboard.

"Three days ago."

"Can't we find anything earlier than that? Like yesterday?"

He exhaled loudly. "I'm trying. We have like 30 screens here, Nate. It's a big school."

There was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Michael announced.

I sent my gaze back to the screens. We have been at this for days, staring at footages weeks' worth, looking for Leigh and trying to analyze his pattern. But something was eluding me at the back of my mind as I stared at Leigh's screenshots plastered in the lounge. So, I suggested that we go to the security office and check what we missed from our hacked videos.

Michael closed the door and rushed to my side. "Ellen is here."

I swerved my chair to look at him. "What?"

"Gary saw her entering the school just moments ago," he said agitatedly. "He tried to follow her but he lost her. They're looking for her now. But as far as they know, she isn't in her classroom or the library or her usual haunts."

My mind raced to find her. Why was she here without informing anyone? I had told Quinn to tell me if she left the house but since there wasn't any calls from him, then I bet she sneaked out.

Where could she be? Knowing her, she definitely had rushed here for Leigh since she wasn't in any of her class. But, did she find him? And what if she did? Leigh was all messed-up in the head and he might hurt her. I leaned forward, my elbows on the table, my eyes trained on the screens in front of me.

"Nate?" Matt exchanged glances with Michael, worry evident in their eyes. "Should we check the halls for her?"

Then, I finally realized what that elusive something was.