Don't Let It Be Love

I jumped back just in time before the books could hit me. The books thudded noisily on the floor. My heart furiously hammered in shock and apprehension. I could have had a serious head injury if I got hit. Hell, oh, hell, oh, hell.

Some people heard the commotion and wandered over. Ryan, seeing my expression, hurried to me.

"Are you alright, Ellen?" Ryan asked, worry laced in his tone. "What the hell happened here?"

I recovered quickly and glanced at the mess. The librarian asked me the same question again and I smothered the dark, foreboding feeling in me. Someone was trying to hurt me. And scare me. I was sure it was the same person leaving those dead roses.

I gave Ryan a reassuring smile before turning to the librarian. "I'm sorry. I must have shaken the shelf while reaching some books. I'll put it back."

The librarian nodded tentatively and went back to her table. I glared at the remaining people to make them leave, too. Ryan, being slow, accepted my alibi and helped me with the books.

  *********  

It was finally lunchtime and I sighed softly. The following days after that little incident consisted of me getting all busy with the major exams and Nate disarming me with his smiles. Thankfully, though, it distracted me from the feeling that someone was out to get me and the onslaught of nightmares during the night.

Maybe it would be better if I just asked Nate's help regarding these threats. But, no. I just couldn't sum up the courage to ask him. And I didn't really want to be the damsel-in-distress. I always hated those girls who didn't seem to stand up on their own in the romance novels I've read.

Misha hummed beside me as we walked to the kiosk together for lunch. As usual, the students parted for us. I even caught one guy ogling Misha. I glared at him and he turned away quickly. If it was Matt who caught him, I wonder what he'd do to the loser.

Suddenly, Misha halted, her eyes on her cell phone. I looked at her quizzically. She glanced at me with a playful grin on her face then texted on her phone. I tapped my foot impatiently on the floor. I was getting hungry.

"Ellen," Misha finally said without looking at me, "Go ahead first. I'll catch up later."

I raised an eyebrow at her and was about to ask why when she waved goodbye at me and sprinted away. I grinded my teeth together and resumed walking. I turned on my iPod to tune out the whispering students. What was up with Misha these days? She was keeping something from me. I just knew it.

As I was nearing the kiosk, I saw that Nate was already there. He was standing at the middle of the kiosk and when he noticed me approach, he grinned broadly. My breath hitched and I looked away for a sec to compose myself before looking back at him. Darn this. Why did I always feel overly self-conscious whenever I saw this lame guy?

♪♫..So don't don't don't
Let it be love love love..♪♫

What a very fitting song. I turned down the song when I entered the kiosk.

"Hey," he greeted.

♪♫..Because it hurts a lot, like it or not..♪♫

"Hi."

I let my eyes wander around. Michael and Matt weren't here. Nate watched me take in my surroundings silently. I kept a calm mask on but I was panicking inside. We were alone. Finally alone. Crap.

♪♫..If it comes down to love or money, it won't be love love love, it won't be love love love..♪♫

"They're not coming," Nate said, gazing at me intently and reading my thoughts. "They have, um, somewhere else to be."