Chapter 18

Wooyoung was spread on the floor, his sheets scattered around him. San had been kind enough to go in his apartment and get him what he needed to work. He tried to share the space on his desk, but Wooyoung was stubborn and refused anything that would be a handicap for his host's work. So here he was, using his giant bear as a futon, and things were looking up for the first time. Working on the ground had, quite literally, given him a new perspective on things and he was fairly certain he could get a passing grade this time. All he had left to do was to revamp his whole project and make a model from scratch. In three days and a half. No big deal. Who needs sleep anyway.

San stretched with a groan, his back making a sinister noise that could be heard now that the sewing machine calmed down. It was louder than when he heard it on the other side of the wall, but its rhythm helped him to focus on his blueprints. He checked the time on his phone, a bright 3:48 stinging his eyes. It wasn't a surprise when he heard San get up from his chair.

"Hey", he said, crouching besides Wooyoung.

"Hey."

"You're getting somewhere with this ?"

They were almost whispering, trying not to replicate what happened with Mario Kart. The neighbors had complained about the noise to the landlord and they didn't want any trouble.

"I think so, yeah."

"That's cool. You want to keep working ?"

"You're going to bed ?"

"Mmh. My eyes are getting tired, I can't see properly anymore."

And that was the moment he didn't want to happen. The moment when he would have to get up, collect his stuff, and go back to his room. He sighed, painfully getting up, San following him until they were face to face.

"I guess I should stop working, then", said Wooyoung, adorning a small smile to make up for his avoiding gaze.

San didn't say anything, busy playing with a shiny thread coming from his stock. They stood there, the silence only growing and getting more tense. He didn't want to go. He didn't want, but he couldn't reasonably ask to stay either. San had already been so supportive and accommodating, sleeping there would just be pushing it. And yet, he couldn't bring himself to say goodbye. It used to be so simple.

"Do you feel like you can go back now, or is it still complicated ?" said San, his voice feeling small.

Wooyoung didn't want to lie to him. He swallowed.

"It should be fine. It wouldn't be as nice as here , but it'd be fine."

The last part was said without him planning to, but it was okay. It was still the truth. San nodded slowly, making a knot with the thread.

"Would it be better if you stayed here ?"

"I think so, yes. But I don't want you to feel obligated or anything. I'd be okay in my room."

"... You don't mind the size of the bed ?"

"I already slept in it once, I can take more of it", he smiled sincerely, finally looking him in the eye.

San looked up too, mirroring his expression.

"Stay, then. I'll lend you a pajama."

And that was how he ended up in San's bed, all of the little colorful animals discarded at the bottom of the bed to make more room for them. He was squeezed against the wall, and yet his knees still bumped into San's. Everything was drowned out by the huge blanket covering them, and even if there was a light still on, he wouldn't have seen much. He was too close, it was too crowded, everything felt too hot. And yet he felt like his own bed, cold, empty, used to be way worse. They were on their sides, saving up as much space as possible, facing one another. It wasn't awkward. He wanted to reach out, to maybe touch the cheek he knew to be right there, but that want was nothing he couldn't handle. He was tired, his eyes shut, his mind slow.