Flora

Age 16

I'm so confused. All of my friends, even my sisters, are either getting into relationships or talking about who they like all of the time. I feel so left out. I just don't have those type of feelings for anyone, and any time that somebody asks me who I like, I just don't know what to say. Every time that I tell someone that I don't like anybody like that, the response that I get is something along the lines of, "there must be somebody that you like, you're just too shy to say who it is. I won't tell anyone, I promise." And when I still refuse to admit to liking anybody, they only get annoyed.

Felicity and Faith are more understanding. They just get it. If I say that I don't like anyone, it really means that I don't. They don't ask questions or try to pressure me. But I still feel so left out when they talk about relationships and having feelings for someone.

I tried talking to my mom about it, and she was very understanding about it too. She said that it's not strange to not have feelings for anyone, and that it doesn't make me weird or not normal in any way. Having that conversation with my mom made me feel a lot better. It was really reassuring to hear that I'm not crazy or messed up, and that I have people in my life who love me for who I am.

But I still wish that other people were as understanding as my family, because it really hurts me so much when they accuse me of lying when I say that I've never been attracted to someone in a romantic way. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong, even though deep down I know that I'm not.
I just don't understand why some people feel the need to do that. After all, it's none of their business at all. It never was, and it never will be.