Violet

Age 37

It's been a busy day at the orphanage today, as usual.
Having to take care of so many children is no easy task (although obviously I don't do it alone) but it's all worth it because of how rewarding to see these children grow up and thrive.
With as many kids that we currently have at the orphanage right now, it can feel a bit crowded and overwhelming sometimes, but it also feels like home.
Not all of the kids here may not be biologically related, but they are all family. We're all just one huge family here. I have never felt more love in my life than I feel here with my husband Antony, the other people who help us out and all of these children (including my own 7) all around us.

Next week is a very special week for us. Elise, who is 16 and has been at this orphanage longer than any other kid (10 years) is finally getting adopted. It's going to be bittersweet seeing her go after so many years, but both her and the sweet lady that's adopting her have promised to visit us whenever they can.

Elise was so happy when she found out that she was getting adopted after all these years,  and even happier when she met the woman who will now be her legal guardian and whom she already refers to as her mom. They have already created this beautiful bond between them, and I have no doubt that the lady will be the best mother to Elise, and that Elise will be the greatest daughter to her.

Although Elise has never said it, I know that being at the orphanage for so long made her start to lose hope that she would ever get adopted. But sometimes life can surprise you when you least expect it and I've never seen her look happier than she does now. It's so gratifying to see her, or any other kid at the orphanage like this, because then I know, that even though it's difficult sometimes, all the people working at the orphanage and I have done our job right. And it's the most amazing feeling in the entire world.