Alternative

Simpson's in the Strand always seemed to glow like this. The great building, located in "the strand" of course, was filled with men and women. Slender beautiful ladies, robed in puffy dresses. Tall, handsome men, clinking full glasses together.

Florence looked over to Ruby. The warm light softened his features, making him look unbelievable. His eyes drank everything in, while his face managed to keep it's cool demeanor. Perhaps all French places were this lively. Piano music tumbled over the stage near the back of the dimly lit restaurant. Florence noticed Ruby was looking at her too now, in response she tore her eyes away from him embarrassed. She heard his velvety laugh as she averted her eyes towards Clair.

In contrast to Ruby, he displayed his awe for the place directly across his golden face. His light green eyes were wide with wonder and his head shook from side to side as if the sight was impossible. It was grand. Dark wood paneling, thick tasseled curtains, and live piano music. The exact thing a writer like him would adore. Clair had such childlike qualities compared to Ruby, all harsh and above everyone.

"Come children." Mrs. Fawn beckoned.

Florence hadn't even notice that her father had gotten a table. Her skirts brushed up against Ruby's leg, but the aisle was too small to move apart from him. So she took a deep breath and bounced along next to him. She felt as if she could feel the pleasure at her awkwardness radiating from him, although his face was devoid of his usual devilish smile. It made her want to strike him and kiss him at the same time.

Eventually the thought wriggled it's way form Florence's mind as her mother and father seated them self across from each other in the plush chairs. Aurora and Jacob sat happily side by side, leaving the other four children to figure out their arrangements. Almost instinctively, Florence shuffled near where Clair placed himself. Although before she could do the same, Cathryn swooped in impossibly quickly and shoved herself into the chair.

This left Florence with no option but to sit next to Ruby. It left her gut a mixture of butterflies and dread. She strode hesitantly over to where Ruby had pulled a chair out for her. Florence thanked him and seated herself, watching Clair's dismal face from across the table. Finally, he noticed Florence looking. He shot Ruby a look he didn't see and rolled his eyes at Florence. Her eyes widened as she silently warned him to not make her laugh. In return he shot her a grin and a mock wink to Ruby.

Once their food had arrived, most of the children fell silent. Happily chewing on roast or potatoes or bread. Cathryn raised her glass to her lips, tilting her head back. Ruby buttered a steaming crumpet. Clair caught Florence's eye as he stirred his soup.

The dinner was spectacular, and Ruby, Cathryn, and Clair made sure the Fawn's understood by thanking them time and time again. Once each person was stuffed and happy, they set foot back into the cool night air of London. Mrs. Fawn insisted they walk the streets for a bit, but Augustus swiftly disapproved.

"It's much too late, and Jacob must get to sleep."

Mrs. Fawn knew better than to disagree with her husband, but she offered an alternative which pleased the four children, who weren't very eager to return to the estate after the exciting night.

"Perhaps we can let the four stay out for awhile. Thomas can wait while the explore can't he?" She proposed, glancing at the footman nearly dozing off.

Augustus gave a reluctant nod, but couldn't keep the smile off of his face.

"This is a privilege. Stay safe all of you, I want you back no later than 12:30."

Then with a sigh he added, "I remember my wild nights a teenager."

Ruby gave a pleasant laugh at that, causing Augustus to beam down at the boy. Clasping his hands, he ushered his wife and two children off. The other four were left standing in a huddle as the whines of Aurora faded off into the night.