5. Tortured

Together they tied ropes around the metal arch of the old covered wagon and pulled them through the belt of the big rattlesnake. Rango had suggested cutting the ropes which Jake was hanged. The ropes of the city people should prevent a rapid fall, because Rango feared to injure him more with that.
"We're ready," Elgin said as the last rope had been stretched.
Waffles and Spoon agreed to cut the ropes that bound the rattlesnake. As soon as they had severed the last threads, the snake's body sank to the ground. The ropes tightened. First, Rango feared the ropes could break, but they stood up to the weight. Jake got caught a few inches over the ground. Slowly the city dwellers loosened the ropes, one rope at a time, so that Jake arrived inch by inch the floor.
Rango rushed first, closely followed by Doc.
Doc took the snake's pulse.
Rango looked at him questioningly. "And Doc?"
"Weak heartbeat," Doc said. "Very weak, but he's alive. He needs shadow immediately."
Rango nodded. "OK. You heard it. Come along all of you."
With big effort, the city people pulled the heavy rattlesnake to the shady rocks. All the time, Jake didn't wake up.
When they had done that, everyone had to take a break and lay down exhausted on the floor. Only Rango didn't take a rest.
He wanted to remove the wire and the gag from the serpent's mouth as quickly as possible, which was not easy. The wire lay tight around the mouth. Doc helped him to cut the wire with a pair of pliers. While Rango cut the wire, he noticed how the metal thing had almost cut deep into the snake's flesh. Rango went out of his way to replace the wire as gently as possible. He felt how Jake's facial muscles twitched slightly. Rango bit his lower lip. It must hurt terribly. It was a good thing he was not awake. Finally, he had removed the wire. With disgust, he threw off the wiry part.
Who came to think of doing something like that?
Untie the gag was a bit easier. The knot was very tight. Rango had to cut the cloth with a knife. Then he carefully pulled the cloth out of the snake's mouth. Worried, he watches Jake. He made no sign of life. But Doc told him through his facial expressions that everything was fine. Doc suggested that the snake needed water first. Rango quickly ran to his roadrunner and pulled out his water bottle. For a snake that was not much, but better than nothing.
Doc helped him to open the snake's big mouth. Carefully, Rango tipped the water into Jake's mouth. After a few seconds, he paused. Jake had moved a bit. Apparently, the cold water had revived new spirits in him. Rango poured again. Jake's movements became a bit livelier now. Soon he was greedy for the water. Startled, Rango withdrew, fearing that Jake might swallow him with greed. When Jake could not feel any new water on his tongue, he began to moan.
Rango didn't know what he should do. He would gladly continue to give him water, but he admitted that he was too afraid of the fangs. Jake's movements were now uncontrolled. As if suffering from pain, he writhed on the floor, his eyes still closed. The townspeople stood up startled and backed away.
"We have to calm him down somehow or he'll go crazy," Doc said.
"Apparently, the heat has tossed his mind," Furgus said.
Rango looked around. "Hurry up! Get the ropes and hold him tight!"
"Are you crazy?" Buford asked. "How should we tame such a big snake?"
"But we have to do something."
Rango did not think long. He pulled himself together and ran up to Jake.
"Hey! What is he doing?"
Rango dodged Jake. Then he jumped onto Jake's neck and clung to it.
"Jake! Stop it!" he shouted. "Calm down!"
Although Jake seemed to hear his voice, but he was still completely absent. He turned his body in his direction as if he searched for him in the dark.
Rango talked to him again. "Jake, it's all right! Please, calm down!"
Gently he stroked Jake's neck as far as he could with Jake's hasty movements.
He felt how the snake trembled and his lips quivered. Nervous and restless, the rattlesnake sank back to the ground, while Rango kept calming and caressing his neck. Gradually, Jake's movements weakened until he finally lay motionless on the ground. He gasped and breathed heavily. Rango felt his cheek. His skin was still burning hot.
"Hurry! Do something! Get damp towels!" he shouted to the townspeople.
The city people, who had followed everything as if spellbound, turned around quickly, fetching their water bottles and soaking some cloths. Then they handed it to Rango, who spread them on Jake's face. At least the head should cool down a bit.
Doc had come back to him and checked Jake's breathing.
"Mr. Rango? I think we will need more than a few towels."
Rango nodded. "The water will not be enough for him anyway. What about his general condition?"
He pointed at the snake body.
Doc nodded. He had also noticed the stripes that ran all over the body of the snake.
"Well, looks like someone tortured him."
Rango looked at him questioningly. "With a whip or similar?"
"Looks that way. I suspected that someone had caught him, maybe tied up and whipped him. When he fainted or was left lying on the floor longer, he was pulled up there to die. "
Rango shuddered. "There are certainly many persons who could come into question. I suppose his list of enemies is not short. But that someone wanted to bring him such a death right away. A simple headshot would have been enough. "
Thoughtfully, Doc scratched his chin. "Well, it must have a meaning if you hang it up extra in this ghost cemetery."
Rango took off his hat and fanned out cool air. "Hm, almost like a torture death. The criminal should die an outlawed and painful death in this way. "
"Mr. Rango?" Spoons interrupted his thoughts. "What are we supposed to do next?"
"Well, good question," Rango said and put on his hat again. "I'll rather, we would bring him into the city, but how should we transport such a big snake?"
"You aren't going to bring him into the city, do you?" Beans asked, who had not uttered a word until then. Now she stood next to Rango and looked at him punishing with folded arms.
"I just made a suggestion," Rango defended himself.
"Why not? She's right," Elgin interjected. "It would be bad luck if we took him to town."
Buford nodded. "I don't agree either."
"Okay, okay!" Rango raised his hands. "It's alright. I got it. He will stay here, but if we leave him here, I'll need someone who brings me some material from the city."
Everyone was quiet.
Rango threw a pleading look at Spoons.
Spoons sighed. "Alright. If the snake doesn't come to town in return, I'll do it."