45. My lifesaver

A few months later...

"Listen, dear maiden, at the gate ...," Balthazar cried in a sweeping, theatrical voice.
He was standing on a wooden stage and brandishing his walking stick. "Dear ones who hear me ..."
Immediately the old mole raised his voice and began to sing in an exaggerated tone.
Rango gritted his teeth and covered his ears. Besides him, he sat on wooden benches with a few townspeople and the whole prairie dog family and listened more or less to the singing monologue. In contrast to the townspeople, the prairie dogs seemed to be delighted with Papacy's singing. Balthazar had barely finished singing when Maybelle jumped from her chair and whistled enthusiastically.
Balthazar bowed gratefully and moved on to the next act with his sons.
But no sooner had he started a new song than Rango couldn't take it any longer. He just couldn't hear any longer. He stood up quickly and left the rows of wooden seats. No sooner had he squeezed out between the chairs than he ran hastily across the open desert.
The stage had been set up in the open, not far away from the former city. Rango had insisted on setting up the stage not in the city, but a little further outside, due to the possible risk of collapse of the scaffolding of the houses. Fortunately, Balthazar hadn't minded. The main thing was that he was allowed to sing.
Rango covered his ears again when Balthazar began to sing again. The singing was an insult to his hearing. With hasty steps he ran towards the city, past several tented houses that had also been set up on the outskirts. The townspeople had put up the tents for temporary emergency shelter, as long as the houses were not ready yet. Most weren't too excited about it, but it was at least a start. Spoons even said that it reminded him of his gold-digging days.
Rango let out a sigh of relief. The singing was almost impossible to hear now. A little calmer, he passed the clock tower that loomed over the city like new. But the other houses looked more or less intact. Of most of the former wooden houses, only the shell was standing, but everyone had worked so hard that the good result could be presented with a clear conscience. Even the huge tin cans, which previously consisted of houses, had been replaced.
Satisfied, Rango put his hands on his hips and looked around with a proud look.
Although it was almost evening, some townspeople didn't deter from their work.
Buford was also unwilling to go to the theater and preferred to look after his new saloon.
"Hello, Rango."
Rango turned around in surprise.
"Are you all right?" Beans asked. "I thought you were in the theater."
Rango took off his hat in embarrassment. "Yeah, it's just ... I couldn't take it anymore."
Beans smiled. "You made a promise."
"Yes, only that my hearing suffers."
Beans laughed softly. "Oh Rango."
Without another word, she put her arms around his neck and looked at him meaningfully.
"You're doing things."
With a warm smile, he put his hands around her waist.
"As long as you're here, nothing can upset me."
They stayed in this position for a while. Then Beans turned her head to one side and leaned against Rango's torso.
The heat rose in Rango, but he controlled himself.
Beans sighed softly. "It's nice to see how the town recovers."
Rango followed her gaze and together they looked down the street. "Yes, of course."
"We owe all this to you."
"Yes," Rango agreed thoughtfully. "And someone else."
Beans knew who he meant.
"By the way, where is he?" She asked. "I haven't seen him today."
"Me neither," Rango said. "But I'm sure he'll show up again."
"He's been feeling so pensive lately," Beans said and pulled out of her embrace.
"Well, that's no wonder," Rango said. "After all, it was very hectic here over the last while. We all had losses."
Beans twisted her mouth skeptically. "It might be it. But I think something is still bothering him."
Rango raised his hand. "Don't worry. If so then it's nothing bad. I will take another tour now. I'm sure I'll find him."
With that, he cupped her face and kissed her gently on the forehead. Then he turned around and walked down the street, followed closely by Beans's gaze, who couldn't help but smile.

When Rango reached the entrance to the town, his eyes fell on the lake.
He was startled when he saw the figure of Jake on the lake shore, staring thoughtfully at the surface of the water.
Quickly Rango ran to him.
"Hey, where were you today?" He called. "I haven't seen you all day today."
Almost startled, Jake turned to him. He had been pretty deep in thought.
"I wasn't anywhere," he replied, still confused. "I just had to go away for a moment."
Rango nodded understandingly. "Yes, I understand. I also just had to flee. And? What do you say?"
Jake looked at him blankly. "About what?"
"Well, the town. What do you say about the town? You haven't said anything about it yet. Aren't you happy about that, too? I've never thought the town would ever recover."
"Yeah," Jake said thoughtfully. "You did a good job."
"But you, too."
"I didn't help," Jake said.
Rango moved his head to the side. "Maybe not while setting up. But before. Without you, the townspeople would have given up long ago."
Jake sighed and smiled. "Well, I just needed some persuasion and a rattlesnake is only contradicted in very rare cases."
"Yep," Rango said and adjusted his hat. "And aren't angry about that I passed the other mongooses to the government?"
Jake shook his head slightly. "It's enough for me if the other two are no longer there."
Rango laughed softly. "Yes, of course. You're right."
He was glad Jake was so calm. The outburst of anger a few months ago had terrified him at the time. No comparison to today. But even after all the excitement, Jake had behaved rather thoughtful and withdrawn. As if he was thinking about something all the time.
Rango looked up and down. Jake had recovered very well from his injuries.
The torture and abuse had scarred his skin, but his pride was far from broken.
He looked thoughtfully over to the town. So much had changed in that short time that it was hard to believe. It had taken him a while to process the whole thing. The mongooses, the mayor's brother, now also the town...
Now Jake's gaze wandered into the town, too.
"It will definitely be a prosperous town again."
Rango nodded. "Yes. And when we do the housewarming, it will be great."
Jake looked at him in silence.
"Of course, you are invited too," Rango added quickly. "After all, you contributed a part to it. You don't have to believe that we are ungrateful."
"Then I won't be there anymore."
Rango paused. "What?"
Jake smiled sheepishly. "Actually, I wanted to say goodbye to you today."
"You want to leave?" Rango asked in surprise. "But why? Is it because of the singing? If that's it, I'll kick him out of the town immediately..."
Jake smiled. "So that you can break your promise? No, it's not about that."
"But why then?", Rango asked further. "Don't you feel at home here? Do you need your own house? I could build it for you at any time..."
"Little man, listen!" Jake interrupted. "I've explained it to you before. I can't stay."
Rango swallowed. "But the last time you wanted to stay here when you chased me away."
"I had the city for myself," Jake emphasized sternly. "But with you... We can't live together in one place. Either a town has a sheriff or a gunslinger. Both is impossible."
"But, but..."
"Little man. One of us has to go. The town isn't big enough for both of us."
"Yes, yes. But that doesn't mean that... "
"Everyone can only own one city," Jake interrupted. "Don't you get it? As long as you're in the town, I have to follow the rules. And I don't want to follow others."
Either I have a city to myself or I live outside alone. I can't live in a society. I also realized that I still want to enjoy my free life while I can. I'm not getting any younger either."
Rango got tears in his eyes. Then he took off his hat and kneaded the fabric nervously.
With a sigh, the rattlesnake leaned down to him.
"Why so sad, little man?"
He pushed his cannon forward and lifted Rango's chin with it.
The chameleon hastily wiped the tears from his eyes. He didn't want to cry, but the thought that Jake was leaving the town made him very sad.
"But you will come back someday, won't you?" He asked hopefully.
Jake sighed and lifted. "Well. Maybe I'll announce myself beforehand so that people don't get too surprised."
"You belong to our town," Rango said. "Don't worry. You are always welcome here."
Jake raised his eyebrows.
"Okay," Rango said apologetically. "More or less. But definitely more here than anywhere else."
Jake nodded. "I'm absolutely sure with this."
For a while they looked at each other in silence. Jake's eyes seemed to be damp for a moment too, but he blinked the tears away quickly.
"It's best if I leave now. All the best. And I don't say that to everyone."
With these words the rattlesnake turned. But no sooner he had crawled a few meters away, Rango called after him.
"Jake!"
Before Jake could react, Rango ran up to him and hugged him.
His fingers clutched Jake's gun belt. He was crying softly.
"Well, well. Don't get so sentimental," Jake said with confusion. "Now take it like a man."
But Rango couldn't help it. He had gotten so used to Jake's presence that it was very difficult for him to say goodbye.
Jake looked around. Fortunately, nobody was at the lake or nearby. All the prairie dogs were in the theater at the play and indulged in the so-called singing, which could even be heard from a distance down to the lake. And the townspeople were busy working on their houses.
A little hesitantly, Jake wrapped a part of his body around the chameleon.
At that moment, Rango loosened his hug a little and looked up at Jake.
"I want to know one more thing," Rango said quietly.
Jake guessed what he wanted.
"Do you still have the urge to kill me?"
Jake said nothing. Then he rolled up his body and moved away from Rango a little. Rango stopped a little unsure and looked at Jake questioningly.
Then the rattlesnake leaned forward with his head and looked deep into his eyes. Rango winced when he felt Jake's revolver on his back, pushing him closer to Jake. Rango did not resist, but looked bravely into the rattlesnake's fiery eyes. Unlike a few months ago, his eyes no longer scared him. Jake licked. Rango shuddered when the warm tongue briefly touched his skin. It didn't disgust him as it was perfectly normal for snakes to do such a thing. So Rango took it for granted that Jake wanted to scrutinize him that way. With all of his senses. Since Rango did not have such senses, he could only orient himself with his eyes and instinct.
Rango wasn't afraid. He tried not to avoid the look. Unlike when they first met, where he had the feeling that his eyes might burn, this time he found neither hatred nor death in them. This time everything was different.
Jake seemed to be thinking exactly the same. He had an expression that showed understanding.
Jake sighed. So much had changed in a matter of days. Even he couldn't deny it. Jake didn't dare to speak it out, but he respected this chameleon. Yes, they respect each other and that was the most important thing for Jake.
"Are you going to arrest or shoot me?" He asked seriously.
Rango shook his head. "No."
"Then you know my answer."
With these words he rose and looked out at the lake.
Rango stared up at him, somewhat confused. "Does that mean we're friends now?"
"I didn't say that," Jake replied without looking at him. "I just meant I wasn't going to kill you."
"Doesn't that amount to the same thing?"
"Not from my point of view."
Rango didn't know why, but he was sure that Jake was somehow friendly. He just didn't want to admit it.
His gaze wandered forward. The sun threw its rays on the lake and glittered in golden reddish colors.
Rango sighed. "At this point the hero always rides into the sunset."
Jake looked at him carefully. "And? Do you feel like riding?"
Rango shook his head. "Not today."
They continued to stare at the lake in silence. The sun had almost disappeared behind the horizon and the farewell was getting closer with every second.
Eventually, it was Rango who broke the silence.
"Jake, I know it might sound crazy..."
"What, little man?" Jake asked, a little uncertain.
"Well," began Rango. "Like I said. Maybe a bit silly. But I would like us to symbolically bury our fight."
Jake raised his eyebrows. "And how?"
Rango smiled. "I have a suggestion."

A short time later, Rango took a bullet out of his revolver. Jake did the same and also got a bullet out of his cannon.
Rango glanced at Jake. The rattlesnake was ready, too.
Rango took a deep breath. "Swear to me that you and I will never turn guns against each other again."
Jake smiled. The whole thing seemed a little silly to him, but he agreed anyway.
"I swear to you."
Rango nodded. "Well then."
With these words he threw their bullets into the lake with one powerful throw. Jake did the same and together the two bullets disappeared into the water.
The two reptiles watched spellbound as the waves leveled.
At that moment the sun threw its last rays and disappeared behind the horizon.
Rango sighed. "You want to go now, don't you?"
Jake nodded. "Yes."
Rango bit his lower lip when he felt the tears well up again.
He swallowed his grief with difficulty. Then he turned back to Jake and looked up at him bravely. "Take care of yourself."
Jake smiled slightly. "Alright."
"And if you ever need help again, you can tell me at any time."
Jake laughed out loudly. "Now you're exaggerating."
"Are you sure? I mean, bad things can happen anytime."
Jake smirked and leaned down to him. "I think you've saved me enough times lately."
"Maybe, but I don't mind."
"I noticed."
With that, Jake rose again. The farewell had come.
Rango swallowed. "But we'll see each other again, won't we, brother?"
Jake took a deep breath.
"Why not, brother?" He said and smiled gently. My lifesaver.

The End

Epilogue follows...