18. The boss

It was in the middle of the night when the mongooses returned to the old farmhouse. They had searched the whole area for the rattlesnake that Beans had shown them. Without success, of course.
No sooner had they reached the farmhouse Madog dismounted from his roadrunner.
"I'm going in," he said. "The rest stays here."
With brisk steps Madog marched to the house and pushed the door open. Inside, a fire burned in the old fireplace and lit a part of the room. There was an old, small table in the corner. Behind it sat a figure hidden in the dark.
"You are late, Mr. Madog," said the figure in a dark voice. "I hope you have good news."
Madog cleared his throat. "Sorry. We searched everything but found nothing. The snake is like fallen off the face of the earth."
Madog quickly ducked as the figure tossed a glass at him and it smashed on the floor.
"That was a big mistake on your part!" The figure growled menacingly and rolled forward in its wheelchair. "There was no way he should have escaped. Your job had been to get rid of him in a cruel way. In addition, you snake hunters are skilled enough. And what happens instead? He escapes you! Just like that. You and your people are no more worth than clown trainers."
Madog said nothing, although the person dragged his reputation as a great snake hunter into the mud. But with all that the figure had made him for an offer, he preferred not to express any hasty counterarguments.
"And what do you suggest instead?" He asked through clenched teeth.
The figure said nothing, but rolled back to the table in the wheelchair and poured himself a new glass of water.
"Actually, I would have expected more brains from you. There is no town or accommodation in the whole area, except Dirt."
"Do you think we're stupid?! We had been there a long time ago. Nothing! Surely you don't believe that one of the townspeople is so stupid as to shelter a rattlesnake?"
The figure was silent.
"Mmh ... indeed. Certainly not, but maybe ... except for one ..."
There was a silence.
Madog was getting impatient.
"It would be a possibility...," the figure muttered slowly.
Madog heard how the figure started to giggle darkly. Then he took the glass and drained it in one gulp.
"Listen," the figure began. "If my guess is correct, then go back to Dirt tomorrow night."
"What's that for?"
"Just a guess. But I am sure you will find it there ..."
Another dark giggle. "What irony."