12. Listen to me

Rango had taken himself outside to the street. He urgently needed fresh air. What a stubborn snake Jake was.
Still a little shakily, he walked up the street to the prison.
He paused when he saw Beans standing in front of the sheriff's office door.
Hesitantly Rango walked over to her.
"Hello."
Beans crossed her arms. She didn't look friendly. "Hello."
Both remained silent for a few seconds.
Rango cleared his throat. "Did you want to see me?"
"Sort of yes."
"Oh ... okay ... Why?"
Beans raised her eyebrows. "I wanted to talk to you. Alone."
Rango swallowed. "Oh, okay. Wait a sec."
Hastily he rummaged in his jacket pocket and took out the keys for the front door.
Then he quickly unlocked the door and let Beans enter first by courtesy.
Inside Rango took off his revolver belt and hung it on a hook by the door. Beans had taken a seat in the chair and was keeping an eye on him.
Rango felt her look in the back, turned nervously to her.
"Well," he began in a firm voice. "What did you want to talk to me about?"
"It's about Jake."
"Oh, Beans. I know, you don't like that he's here ..."
"It's not just a question of that he is here at all," Beans interrupted. "It's much more a question of that you helped him."
Rango stood there and didn't know what to say. He wanted to start with a counter argument, but then he thought it's better to give vent to Beans's dissatisfaction.
With a lowered look, he strode past her and took a chair opposite her. He looked shyly into her face. Beans paused a few more seconds before continuing.
"Listen, Rango. I don't know what's going round in your head, but please, do me a favor and listen to me. Buford had a point when he said that you are not familiar with the customs here yet. And it's a fact that Jake is a wanted criminal. I mean, of course, it's very honorable of you to stand up for a helpless person. Even if it's a rattlesnake. But think about what will happen afterwards. When Jake has recovered, the probability is high that he will cause trouble here. A lion is only harmless as long as it is unable to fight. And that's exactly in this state that he is now. If you don't get him out of here right away, someone will die in the worst case. Jake is dangerous incarnate. On top of that, these strangers, who mistreated him, will look for him and certainly they have no inhibitions about killing ordinary townspeople who give him protection. And Jake isn't worth that sensible people risk their lives for him. Not you either."
Rango had rested his elbows on the table and had listened to her silently.
What Beans said was logical. Jake was definitely not worthy that others sacrificing their lives for him. But sending Jake away? He shook his head and stood up from his seat.
"Beans, I know what you mean," he said dejectedly. "And you're right, even absolutely right. He's dangerous, I know that too well. He already looked very irritable this morning ..."
The chameleon was startled. Beans raised her eyebrows. "Let me guess, he threatened you, didn't he?"
Rango winced slightly. "Well, almost, at least roughly."
Beans sighed. "Why do you want to leave him here longer? It's just a big risk for all of us."
"I know, Beans, I know. But ... I can't chase him away."
"Why not?"
Rango looked down in low spirits. He didn't like it when Beans was mad at him.
He turned away, fearing that he would accidentally say something wrong at the sight of her skeptical expression.
"Since I know Jake, and by that, I mean, since I first met him, I had been convinced that nothing and nobody could stand up to him. His size and dangerous weapons made me believe for a time that nobody could ever defeat him. Even when I faced him again, I wasn't sure that I could really defeat him. His self-confidence had irritated me a little. But when he saw the shadow of the hawk, I saw his fear for the first time. For the first time, I saw how he could be afraid. And when I stood in front of him, pointing my gun against him, I saw that fear again. This time it wasn't the fear of a predator. No. It was the fear of defeat. And I looked into his eyes. The first time I saw fear in them. He was afraid of his own death. Not just in front of a hawk."
Rango paused and turned to Beans.
"When I saw him hanging there yesterday, he was just a poor creature like all of us. Despite being a sheriff, I'm still like I used to be. I used to be unable to look anyone in the eye without fear of anything. I was just a nobody. When he had fled to the city, I saw the fear in his eyes again, but they found no protection. But he was hiding in the town hall. To this city. He is looking for protection. He is looking for help. Would I be better than him if I denied it?"
He looked into Beans's eyes. Beans returned his look, but Rango could see nothing in them. Perplexed or lack of understanding? No, Rango couldn't tell if she didn't want to understand.
Beans sighed and stood up. For a while she looked at him in silence.
"You said you take responsibility if anything happens," she said sadly. "But when the time comes, you can't expect help."
Then she turned away and went to the door.
"Do what you want," she said slowly. "But don't take too much risk."
With these words, she opened the door and left the office.