Epilogue

There was a festive mood in the air, although it was more the heat that determined the climate.
But today, nobody let the sun take that feeling away. The town had decorated with banners and flags. And the townspeople wore their best suits.
All had dressed in festive clothes. Even Priscilla was in good suit clothes. That morning all the townspeople had gathered in the street and were in great anticipation.
"Friends!" Buford shouted. "Before we start the party, our sheriff would like to say a few words."
He waved Rango over to him. He nodded and climbed onto a box with a swing. As soon as he was upstairs, he sat up and looked at the townspeople with a soothing look. The townspeople looked up at him expectantly, eager to see what he had to say to them. Then he cleared his throat.
"Dear residents, I'm proud and happy to be able to stand here today."
He paused for a moment before continuing.
"You all know me. I haven't lived in this city that long and I'm not very familiar with the customs of this country, but I try to adapt as best I can."
He smiled and the townspeople laughed back.
"Well," Rango continued. "As you all know, today is a special day for us and our town that has brought us together. But what exactly are we celebrating today? Just because we rebuilt a town? When I came to this town for the first time, I found a cluster of houses whose residents wanted to keep them from falling apart and decay without my thinking that there was much more to it. Yes, these houses are much more than just having a roof over your head - a roof that protects against sun and storm. For others, however, it was worth even less. For someone it was nothing more than an insignificant place to stay, as the former mayor had once considered it. For him, they were an insignificant spot on a map, in the middle of the drought of the hot desert. In his eyes, it was just a pointless, thrown together heap that he wanted to tear down to make way for progress. Instead, he wanted to build a big city with multi-story houses, cobbled streets and electrified, modern air conditioning. But for you... for you this cluster of houses meant a lot more. You worked hard for this town, endured everything with it, suffered with it. Regardless of whether good times or bad times. And why? Because you had convinced of what you were doing. That it makes sense for this town to live and to preserve it. You have put hope in the town. Even when the water was gone, there was always a glimmer of belief that the town was still a town. You gave the city a meaning. A soul. You could have just moved away, how many others did with their towns. But most of you cared about this cluster of houses. You tried to keep this town alive until your last breath. You did not allow the heartbeat of the chimes to die away to be silenced forever. You did not allow a step to be heard in the street again, to open doors to welcome strangers, to fill glasses to please the heart. To come together with friends and families. To encourage one another. You have made the city a place where one neighbor takes care of the other."
It was quiet among the townspeople. Miss Daisy had taken out her handkerchief and was blowing her nose several times.
"A few months ago, our town suffered the worst stroke of fate since it was founded. A pile of ashes, the houses in ruins. Many have lost their belongings. And at first it looked like the town was gone forever. Some of you had almost lost their lives, and same to the town. But it did not perish. And why not? Because we haven't given it up. No, we kept going because this town isn't meant to die while we're still there. "
He paused for a moment when Buford let out a deep sigh. Rango's gaze wandered to Beans, who like everyone else listened with bated breath to his words.
"A friend of mine told me that a town without its inhabitants is a dead town. Like a body cannot live without a heart. At least that's true of higher living beings, except single-cell organisms ... or ... Whatever. Which is why I would like to finish by saying: May this town Dirt or as some prefer to say Mud, everyone can choose it, may it last for all eternity. As long as we do not give it up, there is still hope for it. And we proved that today. For a brief moment she was asleep, but with our help she woke up again. And that's what we want to celebrate today. And that's why I said, let the festivities begin!"
Everyone applauded and patted Rango on the shoulder.
"Friends!" Buford shouted. "Today all drinks are free!"
Everyone cheered and ran into the saloon.

The whole day was celebrated. Some of them had taken out their musical instruments and played one music after the other and kept calling for square dancing.
Even the well-known song "Oh Susanna" was played with gusto on the violin. The others, who weren't too keen on dancing ate, drank at the bar and had a lively conversation. Ambrose opened one round of poker after another, and he kept repeating earned a warning sidelong glance from Rango, which reminded him again and again not to cheat.
Even when evening fell, the most of the residents were far from tired.
Balthazar had jumped onto the stage, where the saloon ladies usually performed, and was swinging his cane. Melonee and Fresca wanted to spare him a singing interlude and leaned against the old grave. At the smell and presence of the ladies (he couldn't see anything) Balthazar forgot his singing and cheerfully swung the dance floor with them. Everyone cheered. After this dance, Balthazar picked up a full glass again and drank until he fell back, half drunk.
"Hey, guys!" Spoons shouted and took out a box. "Time for the fireworks!"
Everyone jumped up enthusiastically.
"We'll do that at the lake," Elgin said. "Not that a fire breaks out here again."
Laughing, everyone stormed out of the saloon and ran down the street to the lake.
Beans was the last one who wanted to go out and she was the only one, who noticed that Rango was still sitting with his back leaning against the bar.
"Rango? Aren't you coming?"
"Oh yes. I'll be right there. Go ahead."
Beans raised her eyebrows. Rango smiled, but she thought that he was looking a little sad.
"Is something wrong?" Beans asked uncertainly. "Somehow you don't seem to be really happy."
"Yes, yes," Rango said hastily. "I'm fine. Better than ever. I mean, what should be? It's all perfect. I'll take a little tour through the city."
"How so?"
"Pure routine," Rango said in a raised voice. "It could be that someone gains unauthorized entry while the others are away. And that shouldn't happen when we've just rebuilt everything. A town with so much water resources, you have to guard. And it's my job to protect this town. Alone."
With these words, Rango left the saloon with his head held high and with brisk steps.
Beans followed him outside and watched as he proudly walked down the street.
Then she shrugged her shoulders and followed the others to the lake.
When Rango was sure that nobody was watching him anymore, he slowed his steps and stopped on the street. He looked around. The stars shone beautifully that evening and with their glitter they created a calming atmosphere. His gaze fell on the town hall, which was newly built in front of him. He looked around once more. Then he went up to it. When he opened the doors and entered the entrance hall, the smell of new wood met his nose. Everything was freshly built. The walls, the furniture, everything was faithfully reproduced. Rango climbed up the great stairs in silence. Even this one hadn't changed anything. Every step, every ornament has remained. He had been amazed how well the builders had done it. Although these stairs were new, memories arose in him with every step. Not only when he remembered how he had climbed up these steps for the first time, when he met the mayor. He remembered the day how Jake fled to that town hall. His memories continued when he entered the mayor's office. Everything seemed as it always was. The shelves, just with fewer files and books. The most of them fell victim to the flames. Even the desk had been recreated. With a smile the chameleon stroked the table and looked at the stained-glass windows that had been painstakingly put together piece by piece. So much work for a town. Everyone had agreed that the town should keep its old face, albeit with a new twist. Nobody should change the town. The residents were proud of their town. Even if it wasn't the most modern one.
Rango strolled on the balcony still deep in thought and inhaled the fresh, clear air that still carried some warmth of the day in itself.
"Sheriff! The fireworks are about to start! " Lucky called up to him from below.
"Yes, run ahead!" Rango answered.
As soon as the children had disappeared, Rango leaned on the balcony parapet with a sigh and thought.
He didn't know how long he stood there until a voice brought him back to reality.
"Hello brother."
Rango caught his breath and turned around slowly.
Jake stood not far away from him in the room and looked at Rango with his fiery eyes that glowed in the moonlight. With bated breath, Rango leaned his back against the balcony scaffolding and stared at Jake in disbelief.
"By the way," Jake continued. "Nice talk this morning."
"You listened?" Rango asked in surprise.
"And you haven't even noticed me," Jake smirked and crept closer to him. "What about you? Have you sold your soul or what? You look even more surprised than when we met for the first time."
"Y-yes. A little too surprised."
Rango shook his head a little confused. "Why are you back? I didn't expect you. I thought you wanted to announce yourself in advance when you come."
"Do you want me to go again?"
"No, no. You are always welcome with me."
Jake twisted his mouth skeptically. "You really are the first one who say something like that to me. It's actually still my town originally."
Rango sighed. "Okay, okay. If you see it that way. Do you want to stay longer?"
Jake raised his eyebrows. "I don't know. I thought it would be the best that I come back until I can be sure that no one will mess with the town again."
Rango paused. "How so?"
"Just a feeling."
Rango looked around hastily.
"Is anyone planning another attack?" He asked quietly.
Jake narrowed his eyes. "Not directly. I only heard from Bill..."
Rango widened his eyes in amazement. "Heard? How come? What?"
"I don't know," Jake hissed. "But if it does, it's not a good thing."
"I don't understand anything," Rango said a little excited. "What did he say?"
"When I confronted him about the whole thing with the mayor and his brother, he just said: "No, I can't help it. I have not done anything. I did not want that. Somebody forced me to do so! I won't take part!" Then he ran away."
Rango frowned. "Bill usually never says anything for no reason, especially not around you."
"That was exactly what made me so puzzled."
At that moment the tower clock rang. Both looked up when the heartbeat of the town caught their attention. Thoughtfully her eyes wandered over the roofs.
Rango felt an uneasy feeling at the sight.
"This town will need more than just one protector," he muttered softly.
"I think so, too," Jake agreed.
"Do you want to stay in town?" Rango asked.
Jake shook his head. "Nah, I found an old cave nearby. I'm happy with that."
"Are you sure?" Rango asked and turned to him. "You know that you can anytime..."
"Sheriff!" Jake hissed warningly. "For everyone just one town."
"Oh yeah. Clear."
"It starts!" the children shouted in the street and hurried to the lake.
"What about you?" Rango asked. "Are you coming with me? The party is not over yet."
"Is the invitation still open?" Jake asked with mock arrogance.
Rango smiled. "I always keep my word."
"Like here?" Jake asked, pointing to the floor of the room.
Rango remembered what he had promised Jake.
"Nothing happens to you. I promise you."
Rango nodded. "Just like that. You can always rely on me."
"Sheriff! Don't keep what you can't promise," Jake warned.
Rango raised his eyebrows. "Then I'll tell you again: You can trust me."
Jake narrowed his eyes. "Isn't it a little too daring to make promises to an ice-cold killer? With a deadly rattlesnake at that?"
"Legends shouldn't fight," Rango said calmly. "Think of our oath. We have more in common than that, don't we... brother?"
First it looked like Jake was going to contradict him. But then his facial muscles relaxed and he looked at the chameleon with a calm look. Exactly with the same look when he gave him his respect. Not threatening or aggressive, but with respect and a sense of honor. "If you like, brother."
He nodded to him and Rango answered his gesture with his hat.

Together they left the town hall and arrived the lake in time before the fireworks started. Buford was about to light a match when the sudden silence made him sit up and take notice. He turned around in amazement. The match almost fell from his hand when he saw Rango approaching the lake with Jake.
It was almost deathly now.
Rango stopped shortly before of the crowd. Jake kept a little distance.
Rango looked around. Everyone stared at him.
Rango cleared his throat. "Friends, in honor of our party, another guest has come."
They all exchanged inquiring looks.
"Don't worry," Rango tried to reassure her. "Everything is fine. Whatever it will be, I will take responsibility. Don't forget, we have all helped to make the town stand today. Everybody is hospitable, who helped."
There was silence for a while, until Priscilla broke away from the crowd and went straight to Jake. Jake hissed softly as the girl stopped in front of him.
For a few seconds she looked at Jake with her big eyes. Then she smiled.
"Welcome."
Jake's mouth was almost open, but he closed it again immediately.
That was the second "welcome" that he heard tonight.
For a moment he was speechless and stared at the mouse in confusion. Then his glowing eyes went to Rango, then to the other townspeople. The looks that looked at him were completely different from what he was used to. With a little fear, but not with panic. Rather with uncertainty. He himself felt a little unsafe. Until now, no town had welcomed him like this. It was a strange but pleasant feeling.
But then he tensed his facial muscles again.
"What is it now?" He asked in a dark, serious voice. "I thought you were celebrating."
Rango was the first one who looked away and turned back to the townspeople.
"He's right! Friends! Now that we are all complete, the fireworks can start!"
Slowly the festive mood regained the upper hand and gradually the residents spread out on the beach.
Buford was the only one who spoke his thoughts out loudly. "A snake as a guest?" He mumbled. "Well, we're used to a lot. A snake won't bother us further."
Rango breathed a sigh of relief as the residents' initial fear gradually subsided.
"Hey, She-rifffff," Balthazar whispered and tapped Rango on the shoulder. "Hopefully you will allow me to sing to celebrate the day."
Rango winced. Anything but that!
"Uh ... that would be very... nice. But..."
"Well, well, Sheriff," Balthazar warned and raised his index finger threateningly. "Our deal."
Rango swallowed. But before he could say anything, a large shadow slipped past him and grabbed Balthazar with his huge body.
"There's no singing here while I'm here," Jake growled, pushing the old burrower to the floor.
Balthazar, who was still a little drunk, cared little about this treatment. "Please, just a tiny little song."
Without saying anything, Jake pulled the rest of his body over the mole, so that only a muffled murmur came from under the coils.
Ezekiel, who was standing right next to him, looked at Rango with concern. "Uh, sheriff? He's not going to hurt him, do he? "
"Nah," Rango said and made a dismissive wave of his hand. "As long as he doesn't sing, it'll be fine. Now go ahead, check out the fireworks and don't worry."
With that, he pushed Ezekiel away and nodded gratefully to Jake. But then his face became serious again.
"Uh, by the way, Jake. Of course, you won't eat anyone as long as you are here, I hope you realize that."
Jake snorted briefly. "We can talk about that when my stomach growls."
"Oh, okay. But let me know in good time."
"It starts! It starts!" Lucky shouted and ran excitedly back and forth on the beach.
As soon as he had spoken, the first fireworks rockets flew into the air and exploded in beautiful, bright, bright colors.
Rango winced when Beans reached for his hand. Rango looked a little uncertain in her face. But Beans was neither annoyed nor angry.
"Maybe I was a little wrong," she began softly. "It wasn't a bad idea to bring him into town."
Rango smiled gratefully at her. She squeezed his hand gently. He squeezed back slightly.
New fireworks rose to the sky. They exploded and their light was reflected in the water of the lake. It was a beautiful sight.
Rango's gaze wandered to Jake, who was still holding Balthazar and he was trying hard to get out from under Jake's body.
Rango smiled and thought about their conversation.
Not your town, but our town.
For him, Jake was a part of the town.

While the fireworks over the lake sparkled in the most beautiful colors, two divers in diving suits appeared on the lake surface.
"Hey, look what I found," the first diver said and held out two bullets to his buddy. A large and a small one.
The second diver shook his head disapprovingly. "What people throw away nowadays."
"I have the feeling that this is anything but rubbish," the first one said and examined the two bullets.
"Then put it back where you got it from," the second diver said.
His colleague shrugged his shoulders and dropped the bullets back into the water, where they landed on the bottom of the lake and stayed peacefully there... until today.