25. Thanks and no

The sun had almost disappeared behind the horizon. Rango had sat cross-legged next to Jake and never let him out of his sight. As if he feared Jake would stop breathing in his absence. Rango moaned and rubbed his eyes. Although he was very tired, he just didn't feel like sleeping. He was still very upset by all the events of the day.
The chameleon took off his hat and fanned himself fresh air, not taking his eyes off Jake. Only now he realized all the worries he had endured. And as implausible as it sounded, the fear had been too great for him that Jake would not survive. Rango froze at the thought that he had come into town and that it was too late. All the effort, all the excitement ... it would all have been in vain.
Rango thought back to the evening when Jake had fled to the town hall. How Jake lay on the floor trembling and exhausted. Rango didn't know why, but he had never felt so much pity that evening as at this point. Compassion for his greatest rival. With the greatest, most dangerous killer in the west. And then the whole story. Rango silently went through Jake's story again. How the big rattlesnake was tormented by the mongooses, with hawks, with refusal to water, and beatings... He shook his head. No, as much as they were enemies, but even Jake didn't deserve that. That was not okay. At least not for him. The other townspeople would certainly have wished him much worse. But between him and Jake it was something completely different and the idea of it made Rango rise to anger. What did the mongoose want from Jake? What was the point of that? Why did they do that? To pass the time? No, someone had instigated her to do so. The mayor.
Rango paused. He had almost forgotten the mayor again. Slowly he stood up and paced restlessly up and down.
"He said, he saw him," he mumbled softly. Jake had seen the mayor. But how could that be? For Rango it was a completely unrealistic puzzle. If Jake swore, he had killed the mayor, how could he be back? It just didn't fit into reality anymore. A thought line formed on Rango's forehead. Had Jake been too long in the sun after all? Was it just an illusion? Rango sighed. As much as he didn't like to believe Jake, but hallucinating sunstroke was far more realistic than having someone risen from the dead.
Rango paused. He thought he heard a low moan. He turned around quickly. Jake had moved a little. Rango held his breath as the rattlesnake slowly opened its eyes. Rango looked at him carefully. Did Jake make it through?
"Jake?" He asked hesitantly.
Jake winced when he heard Rango's voice. He was still a little dazed from sleep.
"It's okay Jake," Rango said, holding up a reassuring hand. "It's just me."
Jake blinked. For a moment it looked like he was going to go back to sleep. But then he shook his head vigorously and struggled to sit up, although he swayed a little.
"How are you?" Rango asked.
Jake took a deep breath. "It works again," he replied darkly and looked at Rango with a slightly annoyed look.
With embarrassment, Rango scratched his head. "Yes, I'm sorry, but it really didn't go any faster ... you know, that doctor's assistant was there and the doctor wasn't there, and I should wait until the doctor came. But when he didn't come, I tried to get the medication myself ... "He deliberately avoided the word" steal ". "And then I was arrested because I had gone into the house without permission ..."
"Okay, that's enough!" Jake interrupted in an annoyed voice. "It doesn't count anymore."
Rango looked at him blankly. "What do you mean?"
"I promised not to harm anyone until you were back. Now you're back again. Well... you better keep your distance from me before I hurt you in a bad mood."
Rango froze. Did Jake mean that now, or had the disease turned his head? "What? But I..."
"Just don't imagine that I'm going to be peaceful just because someone helps me. We are still rivals. Don't forget that. Now get out of my way!"
With that, Jake passed him, his head held high.
Rango still stood there, confused, and watched him go. "A simple" thank you "would have been enough," he muttered through clenched teeth.
Jake stopped and looked venomously at Rango with his glowing eyes.
Rango went pale, but Jake wasn't satisfied with that.
"All right," the killer said in a condescending tone. "If you really want. Thank you ... Are you satisfied now?!"
He said the word "thank you" as quickly as if he wanted to spit it out.
Then the rattlesnake turned and crawled away.
"Uh, Jake? Where are you going? " Rango asked. He was very disappointed with Jake's behavior.
"Where else? I'm tired of lying on the street."
Jake quickened his pace and disappeared around the corner.
It was quiet around Rango. Only the chirping of the crickets filled the night and spread a summery evening mood with their evening concert. But Rango only felt the cold and surrounded him with sadness. Then his grief turned into anger and disappointment. Such anger that tears came to his eyes. He lowered his gaze and stared at the floor. Why was Jake acting so hard? No matter what he did, Jake never seemed grateful to him for anything. Okay, Jake was a killer, but did the snake have to hurt him like that? Rango felt his hands clench into fists.
"Are you okay, Mr. Rango?"
Rango looked up in shock. The doctor had appeared unnoticed and looked at him with concern. "I saw Jake crawl into town hall. But you weren't there. I was a little worried then."
"It's all right," Rango said, quickly wiping the tears from his face.
The doctor smiled slightly. "It's been a long day for you, wasn't it?"
Rango nodded. "Yes. I'm going to bed now."
Rango passed Doc with his eyes downcast. The doctor watched him go and smiled. "Don't take it so hard. If Jake behaves like this, it's a sign that he's feeling better."
Rango stopped, but didn't turn around. "Yes," he muttered softly. "So good that I sometimes regret what I did."
With these words, Rango marched down the street. He paused there for a moment and glanced at the tower clock. Then he lowered his gaze again and walked slowly down the street to the prison. With every step the tiredness seemed to drain him more and more of his strength. He urgently needed to catch up on sleep.

Rango didn't notice that Jake was secretly watching him from the town hall. The killer had stood by the window and saw Rango walking down the street in a gloomy posture.
Jake sighed. He was sorry to say such harsh words to Rango, but there was no other way. He had to save face. The humiliation of yesterday and today was enough for him. If he had politely thanked Rango now, he feared he would lose his dangerous reputation forever.
He turned from the window and stared into the dark room lit by the moon. He was still a little weak, but he felt a lot better already. At least a positive twist, but everything else...
Jake stared at the window again. There was no denying that he owed a lot to Rango. Even he had to acknowledge that as an outlaw. The other townspeople, too. He had never been taken care of. Until now, he had always been on his own. No matter in which situation. But in those few days he had learned so many unknown things. Jake smiled slightly, but then he turned serious again. Inside he felt a warmth, but Jake couldn't and wouldn't let it into his soul. It couldn't be. That was against his honor. The great grim reaper was not allowed to have a soul. Neither does death.
For a while, Jake stood motionless in the room. Then he took a deep breath.
"You mustn't let up," he said to himself. "You have to be tough. He mustn't see any more weakness. Never again. He must never defeat you again. This time he will never be able to do it again."