02

. . . . .

SPLASH

Sounds of children chuckling could be heard just outside the house as they played with the puddles.

It was a Saturday morning when Sana received a text from her friend Momo, informing her of the cancellation of their mall hangout due to Mina's unavailability.

Sana sat beside her bedroom window, sipping her morning coffee while watching the kids outside. I sat on her bed, observing her. She was a little sad about the cancellation, but relieved to know Mina couldn't come. They were a trio, after all. I had been in a daze all morning, just observing her. Creepy, I know.

She started humming a tune, familiar but elusive. I decided to simply enjoy the moment.

As I approached her, I felt like a weirdo, but it didn't bother me. I was already one, after all.

Glancing outside, I saw Dahyun with her little sister Chaeyoung and other kids. They were our neighbors—her neighbors.

Dahyun waved at Sana, who returned the gesture with her infamous smile. I couldn't help feeling envious. Dahyun didn't know how lucky she was to interact with Sana regularly. There was something different about that girl, and I didn't like it one bit. I could only narrow my eyes at her.

"Stop that, Tzuyu. You're already dead; you can't do anything about it," I muttered to myself.

My thoughts were interrupted when Sana walked right through me, heading downstairs and out the front door. I followed her but stopped by the door as she approached Dahyun and Chaeyoung, walking farther away from me.

They say you can't feel anything when you die because all the pain is lifted once you take your last breath. But why does this not-so-foreign feeling in my chest, squeezing me dry, never seem to leave?