a happy ending.

Inspired by: I want to eat your pancreas.

Warning: angst

And I gotta change Amane's dream career, meaning he's not going to be a science teacher.

———

"When I became a famous author in the future, im gonna write about us and the happy ending we never had."

She had secrets,

Amane could tell, she's been keeping secrets from him. He felt like Nene couldn't trust him anymore— even though he saw the look of Nene's eyes when she looked at him. He knew she love him, he loved her too. Why keeping secrets from each other?

He sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to hear the front door being open. And an hour later she came back.

He had once checked her phone to see if she's seeing someone else, but there was nothing.

He assumed she loved him dearly, but why does she keep secrets?

Amane sighed— flopping down on their bed. Staring at the ceiling, and pilled out his phone to see Nene's text messages.

Nene
Hey, Amane-kun, I heard you guys went home early, and so do we. Let's meet at our apartment at 5?

Amane
Sure! See you there❤💕

It was now 5:30, and Amane is still wondering why she's still not here. He still didn't forget that time when he opened her bag with full of pills, he questioned her about it. But she just said that it was from her friend's mom.

And of course, he trusted her.

Then he heard a call from his phone. He thought that it might be his girlfriend— but instead, an unknown number.

He decided to accept the call.

"H-hello?" Amane answered nervously,

"Hi, hello. Is this Yashiro Nene's boyfriend?" The other person asked— Amane quickly sat up by hearing Nene's name.

"I— yes, this is her boyfriend. M-may I asked where she is?" The ravenette heard the person sigh.

"Well, Yashiro-san is in the hospital right now. This is doctor Misaki. Yashiro-san wishes to see you right now." The doctor answered, Amane nodded and ended the call— grabbing his coat before leaving.

The raven-haired boy was running all the way to the hospital. Praying that she will be alright.

When he got into the hospital, he immediately asked the lady in the counter,

"Yashiro Nene, is in room 172 to the left." Amane thanked the lady and dash to the elevator, pushing the buttons aggressively.

Finally, Amane got there. His breathing was ragged. So, before he could open the door— he had to inhale so he could talk to Nene properly.

When he opened the door, he saw Nene's parents, and lots of doctors surrounded at her hospital bed.

"Mrs and Mr. Yashiro, let's give them some alone time." One of the doctors said, and they nodded.

Once they were alone, Amane sat next to Nene. Crying, holding her hand, her eyes were dull,

It will soon die.

"...s..o..rr..y.." She mumbled, enough for Amane to hear. He shook his head,  and kiss her knuckles.

"What's the meaning of this Nene? Why didn't.. You tell me..?" He asked, and she looked at him and slowly smiled.

"I...my pancreas stopped..working when...I was 8..and now I'm 19.. I'm very sorry Amane-kun.."

Amane started sobbing.

1 year later.

Amane held the bouquet of flowers tightly on his chest. It's been a year since she died.

He realized that the reason why Nene keeps going out in the middle of the night is because she visits every hospital in Japan just to keep herself alive for him.

Amane placed the flowers on top of the gravestone.

He sat down next to it, placing his head on it.

"Hey Nene, how you been?" He asked, and looked at the sunny sky.

"I promise Nene, when I became a famous author in the future, I'm gonna write a story about us and the happy ending we never had."