Chapter 11

I sat on the train staring out the side window. Peeta and Haymitch sat across from me. I heard Effie walk in.

"All right. Before we begin I've had a thought." Effie said.

"You don't say." Haymitch teased.

"Maddie has her gold Mockingjay pin. I have my hair. I'm going to get you two boys something gold." Effie said. cinna somehow got me a new mockingjay pin. i lost mine when wckd first kidnapped me

"Uh.... why is that?" Haymitch asked.

"A token. Show them we are a team. And they can't just..." Effie trailed off. I heard her sniffling. I grabbed her hand and held it.

"Thank you." I said with a smile. Effie smiled back. Haymitch held Effie's other hand.

"All right. Now everything will be different because it's a Quarter Quell. The Capitol has spared no expense. A new training center. New Tribute living quarters. And of course, a very special arena. But this year you'll be facing other Victors. Capitol favorite. Smart, cunning, skilled. And they all know one another. You two are the outsiders." Effie said.

***

We were eating dinner in the new Tribute living quarters. I haven't met the other Victors yet. Haymtich stood in the kitchen.

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the Games. Last Game was child's play. This year you're dealing with all experienced killers." Haymitch explained.

"All right. What does that mean for us?" Peeta asked.

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies." Haymitch said.

"Okay. I think that if-" Peeta started but Haymitch cut him off.

"You're not the problem." Haymitch said. He started pointing his finger at me.

"No." I said dryly.

"Look you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years." Haymitch said.

"That just puts us higher on their kill list." I retorted.

"Do it your own way. But I know these people. You go it alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you." Haymitch explained.

"Maddie come on." Peeta urged.

"How could any of us even trust each other?" I asked.

"It's not about trust. It's about staying alive." Haymitch said. He gestured for us to sit on the couch in front of the TV. He turned it on then started presenting to us the other Tributes we would be facing.

"Cashmere and Gloss. Brother and sister. District 1. They won back to back Games. Capitol favorties. Lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." Haymitch explained.

"And the other half of the Career Pack. Brutus and Enobaria. District 2." Haymitch said. The girl's teeth looked like an animals.

"What's with her teeth?" I asked.

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people's throats out." Haymitch said.

"She's committed. I'll give her that." Peeta said.

"Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters but brilliant. And weird. Real tech savvy. District 3. He won his Games by electrocuting six Tributes at once." Haymitch explained.

"The Morphlings. Masters of camouflage. District 6. Basically won their Games by hiding until everyone else was dead. Self medicating ever since. Which I applaud. Not a threat." Haymitch explained. He switched the screen again. And this time a handsome young man was shown on screen.

"Finnick Odair right?" I asked.

"Yes. District 4. He won his Games at 14. Youngest ever. Extremely humble." Haymitch said.

"You're kidding." I said.

"Yes I'm kidding. He's a peacock. A total preener. But he's the Capitol darling. They love him here. Charming, smart, and very skilled at combat. Especially in water." Haymitch explained.

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta asked.

"One. Mags. She volunteered for Annie. Mags was his mentor and basically raised him. If he's trying to protect her in any way it exposes him." Haymitch said. A video of Mags volunteering for Annie popped up on the screen. Mags looked very old and weak.

"A guy like that has to know she's not gonna make it. I bet when it really comes down to it he won't protect her." I said.

"Well Maddie I just hope when she goes, she goes quickly. She's actually a wonderful lady." Haymitch said. Haymitch showed us the rest of the Tributes.