Chapter 5

I stepped off the train. Peacekeepers surrounded the platform, guarding.

"Well this is not very festive." Effie said. I agreed. Why are there so many Peacekeepers in this District? We got into a truck and rode off down the rode towards the town square.

"The mayor will make some introductory remarks. And then you just have to say a few words. It's customary of course to give a brief eulogy to the districts fallen Tributes. For 11 that's Thresh and Rue. Here are the speeches." Effie explained. A wave of sadness washed over me. Rue. Effie waved the speeches in front of us. peeta grabbed both of them.

"I can do the talking if you want." peeta offered. He knows how much Rue meant to me.

"Thank you." I said.

***

"Ladies and gentlemen... the Victors of the 74th Hunger Games. Maddie Everdeen and Peeta Mellark!" The mayor announced.

"Smile. Smile. Smile. You're on camera too." Effie said pushing us out the door. I heard a mild applause as we stepped onto the stage. All of District 11 stood before us. There were two big screens to the sides. One had Thresh's picture with his family standing underneath and the other had Rue's picture with her family standing underneath. The forced smile I had frowned a bit when I saw Rue's picture and her family.

"Thank you. We're honored to be here with you today. And to be with the families of your fallen Tributes." peeta said into the mic. Everyone stared at us in dead silence. The smile has completely disappeared from my face now. I don't think I can do this. peeta put down the cards he was reading from. I looked at him.

"Though they fought and lived with honor and dignity until the end, both Thresh and Rue were so young. But our lives aren't just measured in years. They're measured in the lives of people we touch around us. For myself, for Maddie, we know that without Rue and without Thresh, we wouldn't be standing here today. So in recognition of that knowing that it in no way can make up for your loss, we'd like to donate one month of our winnings to the families of the Tributes every year for the rest of our lives." peeta said. Everyone applauded.

"Thank you." peeta said. He looked at me then turned around and started to walk away. I hesitated. Peeta stopped and looked at me and everyone grew silent once more. I looked at Rues family. I stepped in front of the mic. I looked at Thresh's family.

"I just wanted to say that I didn't know Thresh. I only spoke to him once. He could've killed me but instead he showed me mercy. That's a debt I'll never be able to repay." I said. I looked at Rue's family.

"I did know Rue. She wasn't just my ally, she was my friend." I said. I took a deep shaky breath.

"I see her in the flowers that grow in the meadow by my house. I hear her in a Mockingjay song. I see her in my sister Bri. She was too young, too gentle. And I couldn't save her. I'm sorry." I said. I choked on tears. I saw her family sobbing at the words I said. I saw an old man in the crowd whistle the mockingjay song and hold up the 3 finger tribute. Everyone else held up their fingers. Suddenly the Peacekeepers barged into the crowd towards the old man. The crowd was gasping and screaming. I ran down the steps.

"No. No." I said. A couple Peacekeepers grabbed me and started dragging me back.

"No. Wait! Leave him alone!" I yelled. I kept yelling and yelling. The Peacekeepers dragged the old man onto the stage and forced him to his knees. I watched him get shot in the head right when I was forced into the building. peeta's face changed to shock as did mine.

"NO! What did you do!" I screamed. I tried to run back out the door but Haymitch held me back.

"Stop it! Shh!" Haymitch said.

"Come on." He whispered harshly. He grabbed me by the arm and we hurried up the stairs into an attic. Peeta stood right by me. Tears were streaming down my face.

"You two have a very simple task." Haymitch said angrily.

"I never meant for anyone to get killed. He has to know that." I sobbed.

"What are you talking about? Who has to know that?" Haymitch asked.

"Snow. He came to see me. He's worried about rebellion in the districts. He thinks that they don't believe our love story." I said

"So he wants you to make them believe it?" Haymitch asked.

"To calm things down." I said.

"Well you know Maddie you should've told me that before I went out there and tried to give these people the money." peeta said angrily

"I'm sorry. I didn't know what to do. He threatened to kill my family." I said.

"Well I have a family too! people that I need to protect!" Peeta yelled.

"What about them? Who protects them?" Haymitch said gesturing at the districts. Haymitch sighed.

"Maddie what were you thinking?" Haymitch asked.

"I was thinking about Rue. Haymitch please just help me get through this trip. Please just help us get through this." I said crying.

"This trip? Girl wake up. This trip doesn't end when you get back home. You never get off this train. You two are mentors now. That means that every year they're gonna drag you out and broadcast the details of your romance. Every year your private life becomes theirs. From now on your job is to be a distraction. So people forget what the real problems are." Haymitch said snapping his fingers.

"So what do we do?" peeta asked.

"You're gonna smile. You're gonna read the cards that Effie gives you. And you're gonna live happily ever after. Think you can do that?" Haymitch said. Haymitch took me by the hand.

"Come here." He said. He wrapped me into a hug. There was a hole in the window looking out on the stage. I saw the old man's dead body being carried away.

"You're gonna be okay. I promise." Haymitch said.