Gemelle

Once a month we have a standing brunch appointment with Neve at Jean Georges, her favorite French restaurant. It's usually just us three, give or take a person like Arien or Mother. We would wear our Sunday best and get reservations usually on the gloomiest day to avoid the sun.

Since she left ValTore, she's been online learning-one of the first vampires to do so- so she wouldn't be behind on her studies. She would train with the coaches after all the students left so she wouldn't have to face them. Neve still hated what happened to her last year and she thought it would be better if she didn't deal with all the drama from school for a while. However, whenever we do link up, we would update her on everything that happened.

At the restaurant we were seated in the back, away from the general public, not only because we're vampires but what we tend to order may raise questions to the human eye. A family friend of Neve works in the kitchen and tends to have a special menu made for us each visit.

"When are you going to respond to Luciano's text, Gemelle?" Jemini asked, then taking a sip of blood from her wine glass. She was referring to the message that Luciano had sent me last night while we were in the car.

"Oh, Luciano texted you?" Neve raised an eyebrow. Her long curly hair was pinned into a goddess braid, with loose strands framing her delicate face. "Doesn't he always text you?"

"Yes, but this time he asked if they could talk." Jemini said, the side of her lip curling up into a smile.

"Then talk, Gemelle." Neve demanded, "what's keeping you? You know that boy likes you."

"There's nothing to talk about that can't wait till Monday at school." I said, "plus Luciano doesn't like me, he just wants to sleep with me."

"So?" Jemini and Neve said at the same time with a confused expression. They both started laughing and shook their heads.

"We're just joking Mel." Jemini said in between laughs. "That playboy act is just a front so he can seem cool. I'm sure there's more to him then wanting you for sex."

"Speak for yourself," Neve commented, "I haven't seen that boy in a year so who knows the type of person he's become."

She waved over a man in an all-white culinary suit with a tray of covered plates. He spotted us and glided over to over table with a smile.

"Bonjour Neve." He placed the plates down in front of us, then greeted Neve with a kiss on both of her cheeks. He gave both me and Jemini's hands a light hold and released it with a smile.

"Gemelle and Jemini, always a pleasure." He reached over to lift the lids off our plates, exposing the aromatic dishes before us. My throat felt a bit dry as I inhaled the scent of our entrée. I wanted to dig in, but it is customary for the waiter or chef to present the food to us with a description. I took a sip of the blood next to me, hoping it would hold me down while he explained what he brought to us.

"Cerf cru dans du sang de boeuf" He smiled. Part of me wanted to gag but the vampire me was salivating over the taste of a raw venison cooked in the blood of a cow.

"Sounds delicious." Jemini said eyeing me.

"Amazing, "I smiled, returning Jemini's gaze. "I can't wait to dig in, thank you, Marquis."

He humbly nodded and walked away. Neve took the first bite and nodded in delight.

"Ugh, Marquis is a magician." She moaned, taking another bite. Jemini and I took a smile bite and it tasted amazing as usual. But that could be the vampire in me talking.