CHAPTER 1

That’s basically the gangster code. Just be yourself. Just be you, dog. The easiest way to get your card plucked around a gangster is to be a fake. If we feel like you’re trying too hard, if you’re trying to act like you’re from the street, you’re in trouble. – Ice T.

General knowledge is most young people turn to gangsterism because they wanna take care of their families, take them out of poverty or they are forced by peer pressure at its best. Then there is me. Remember Ocean’s 8, Debbie’s speech in the mirror? ‘So whatever happens tonight, I want you to remember one thing, you are not doing this for me. You are not doing this for you. Somewhere out there is an eight year old girl lying in bed, dreaming of being a criminal. Let’s do this for her.’ Well Debbie was talking about me.

Ever since I was 6 years old I wished to be the most powerful, rich and feared criminal worldwide. You may be surprised as to how I wished that while my age mates were playing house and had no care in the world. My grandfather from my mother’s side was a mafia king. My parents never knew about this and also he didn’t know that I knew about this. Tyler was his name. They use to call him King Ty. Our relationship was very strong. I used to visit him very often. He would try by all means to keep his dealings private but I was a girl on a mission so I was very much aware of what was happening.

I have a green book which I call the Devil’s book. I have had it since I was 7. I wrote all my grandpa’s dealings, step by step. His operations, how he deals with traitors, enemies, casualties. I also got hold of his contacts, I was a very sneaky kid. He was originally from Italy but he relocated to South Africa and that’s where his life began. He died when I was 18 years old. He left me a huge piece of land, 3 cars, 2 houses, his companies (a tech company, a marketing/ advertising company, chain of restaurants and hotels) and his 60% shares in the family law firm Thompson & Partners. You must be thinking: what else did you need because you were set for a lifetime?

I had acquired the money, what was left was the power, the fame and respect from the underworld. My grandpa’s criminal business was taken over by his right hand man and I must say I was not happy about the way he did things. I wasn’t going to claim Ty’s chair by force but I would claim it by being powerful and respected. When I was 16 I used to visit Thompson Technologies a lot so a hacker by the name of Muriel took me in and introduced me to the world of hacking. After a year I was a pro because I was a fast leaner. I made her the CEO of Thompson Tech after Ty’s death and I must say she is taking the company to great heights.

Q, short for Qhawe Mhlongo Ty’s right-hand man found Ty’s killer and later discovered that he was an assassin sent by the Congo mafia king. The aim was to kill Ty and penetrate his operations and take over his territories. However Q’s reign made that difficult. They never rested though. They even tried kidnapping Q’s daughter to make him handover the crown but he was always 3 steps ahead, so they failed. But they didn’t give up. They have been trying for the past 6 years.

Of course my family got jealous of my inheritance, they tried killing me so I went to live with my granny permanently. They were banned from visiting gran. She said if they were to step foot on her property she would gun them down, she is a gangster at heart that one. The only person who is allowed to visit is Anathi, my younger brother who is 20 years old. They haven’t poisoned him against me at least but gran Thabile always makes him drink the truth serum unknowingly so that she can know his intentions.

Thabile is 60 years old. She dated Ty when she was 16 and fell pregnant with mom at 17. I really don’t know why they wanted my inheritance because Ty left everyone a few millions in their bank accounts. He drafted his will with gran and she didn’t want to benefit anything from it because she is her own woman. She only took the house because that’s where they created most memories of their marriage. Gran is kind and she is rich as fuck. She is Mzansi’s Oprah.

The name is Oyintando Adriane Chiliza, third child of Nkateko and Thabisa Chiliza. The first born is Cole, he is 28 years and Jenna, and she is 25 years. And me the she devil, I am 24 years old. The rents and siblings live at Midrand but me and Thabile live at Protea Glen. 4 years ago I discovered that the peace of land Ty left me below it is a diamond mine. That for me was a clear indication that he would like me to take over the mafia one day. Cole is the CEO of Thompson & Partners. He also doesn’t like me but tolerates me for the sake of peace in the company. He is also a hardcore lawyer.

Jenna works in one of the Thompson hotels as a manager there. I really don’t know why she works there because she is lazy and her assistant manager always does things for her but I can’t fire her because that will cause more bad blood between us. Thabisa is a housewife while her husband Nkateko is a mechanic.

I have 3 friends whom I also work with; Salizwa who is an assassin and also an accountant, Sange who is a hacker and a programmer, and Seipati who does everything crime related and is also a well recommended private investigator. I am a boss to a gang called Cobras. Every member has a tattoo of cobra on the shoulder. Mine is on my back and my cobra has a crown on its head. My gang is very powerful. I am a silent boss meaning the only people who know me are the ones in the inner circle of the gang. I don’t wanna draw attention to myself. Now let’s watch and see if I am powerful or capable enough to win back my family’s legacy which is King Ty’s chair.
.
.
.
#TheEmpress