28. Truth taken straight

"God, can this day be any longer?" Diondre whined. It was 2 o clock and a potions day. Break was almost over and the dreaded hour was coming. Christmas break was over now and the monotony of school days were taking their effect.

"Well technically, yes. You could have a time turner." Penny offered helpfully. Tahlia scoffed. "Apparently one of the third years qualified for one, even I didn't manage."

"That'll be Hermione I imagine." Tahlia replied, flicking through her timetable. "I have a free hour, how exciting. Want to learn to fly a broomstick Penny lovely?"

"Nope."

"If you insist." Tahlia turned her nose up at the refusal.

It was still bitingly cold, Diondre was determined to make it through the winter without ever wearing a jacket, she has failed 5 years in a row, Scotland's winters always had a stronger will. She had managed Christmas by only seeing the outside through Remus's window. Hogwarts was pretty in the winter, she would always walk around the grounds with Faith marveling at the beauty. Poor Faith would always be shaking like a leaf by the end of it. Faith...

Faith was walking to her usual spot in her break time, it wasn't until she saw the three girls huddled together that she realised why. This is where they would all come, everyday no matter the weather. She faltered her step, Diondre's face was red with the chill, the only one of the group to not be wrapped in a scarf and hat. Where does she fit now? She asked herself, because with Diondre doesn't feel right anymore.

"I don't even have a free period today, what did you want me to do? Skip?" She said like it was a crime worse than murder.

"Well Penny, I thought for spending quality time with me anything was on the cards, but clearly I don't mean that much to you." She gave Penny a little push on the shoulder.

Diondre smiled gently at her friends, they were so stark opposite they shouldn't get along, but they do, all four of them. Four, but there was only three, her face dropped. She looked around for Faith but the only thing she could see around them was footsteps in the ground. Footsteps that led away.

"We must be off, enjoy that big broomstick you ride Tahlia." She left with a wink, linking her arm through Penny's, her long orange jumper sleeves wrapped tightly around her hands.

"Oh don't worry, I'll ride it real hard."

"Guy's do you mind? I'm a child." Penny whined trying to cover her ears with her spare arm.

"We're only trying to make you grow up Pen." Diondre chuckled.

Together they made their way to the castle, leaving their own footprints in the frosted ground. Diondre looked back and saw the three trails and imagined Faith was here to take this walk with them.

The portraits were in a riot on their entry. Diondre could only catch a word here and there.  Something Snape, something cancelled, something happening. Something that filled Diondre with foreboding.

"You there! What's your name?" She asked one of the portraits directly.

"None of your business Missy!" The flamboyant looking wizard replied.

"Fine, then would you tell me about what all this gossiping is about?"

"Why would I tell you anything? You haven't even called me by my name!" He said indignant.

"I can't very well call you by your name if you won't give it to me."

"Move along then."

"If you don't tell what this is all about I'll grab your picture frame and shake it out of you!" She threatened. Penny gasped to her left.