Moving Day

Today was finally the day. We were moving to our new house. Both of our apartments had been packed up, and we hired movers to move everything to the house. Emily had seemed kind of distant. She hadn't been herself since she got that call in the middle of the night. I had asked her about it several times. She just kept saying she didn't know what it was, but something had been off since then, and I could tell. Every time I brought it up she got defensive. She was taking secret calls in the middle of the night. I heard her once at the BAU. "Lauren Reynolds is dead." She said quietly into the phone. The way she said it had made my skin crawl. When I asked her about it, she said that Lauren Reynolds was an old friend who had died in a car crash. But the way she said it on the phone, made me think she was lying.  Emily kept much of her life before the BAU private, so I tried not to press the issue. Something was going on with her.

The movers got everything into the new house. Emily and I had fished unpacking. We got called up for a case in Nevada. A man had been killing young girls and dumping their headless bodies in the desert. Emily had been acting strange the whole time we were gone. She was there with us, but her head was somewhere else. When are arrived back to D.C., Emily and I finished up our paperwork and left Quantico. On the way home she was quiet. "Em, are you alright? You've seemed off the last couple of days," I asked putting my hand in hers. She didn't answer for a long time. She let out a long breath and said, "something from my past has come up. I can't tell you about it right now, but soon." She brought my hand to her lips and kissed it.
When we arrived home, Emily cooked us dinner. When the food was ready she poured us each a glass of wine. We sat down at the table. We at dinner quietly. After dinner we showered and laid down in bed. Emily rolled over on her side facing me. "I love you, you know that?" she asked brushing her hand across my cheek. "I love you too. I wish you would talk to me about what's going on with you." "I can't do that right now JJ. I'm sorry. You're just going to have to take my word for it. I rolled over and assumed my position as the little spoon. Emily curled up her body behind me, and we fell asleep.