Lynx

I was checking out a few Qinter fanfics and it made me think, are Icewings homophobic, or do we just assume so? I don't think I've seen actually any dragons have an aversion to LGBTQ+ dragons in the books. Granted I haven't seen the reactions to any of the canon gay/lesbian pairings in the third arc (which I couldn't bring myself to read because of the throwing aside of Winter), but there is also another pair of LGBTQ+ characters in the Icewings as well. Snowflake and Snowfox are both partners and also both female. I did not read Darkstalker's book though so I had to go on the wiki for more info. Because I didn't read Darkstalker's book, I dunno much about the Icewing's reaction to their couple, but according to the wiki, everyone seems pretty chill about it. This got me thinking about how, maybe, they are only excepted because one of them is of the royal family. We don't get much perspective into the other non-royal Icewings, but it's not like their opinion seems to have any weight. Sad reality, but true. Now back to the story!

Winter had to return to his Scavenger Village the next day so Lynx had a lot more time to think. A arranged MATE? Were her parents on cactus juice? (I had to do that, if you get the reference it's from when I like 7 or something) An arranged mate was probably the worst idea in Icewing History! It never even worked out either! Queen Glaicer's mate didn't last a whole minute till he slowly bled to death for using her. Lynx wouldn't do that, but there was no guarantee that Snowfall wouldn't for her. Lynx was going to have a thorough talks with them when they came back from the SandWing Kingdom.

 In the mean time, she thought about Winter. Was their whole relationship just a huge friendzone? Lynx shook her head, she couldn't be so sure yet. She would definitely have to re-plan everything. Of course, had her parents never decided on such a horrendous thing she wouldn't have to. Argh! Everything was leading back to this! 

She walked outside, her talons leading her to her favorite training area. It was a lake not too far away, convenient for when you're tired after a long day of training. Some flatland could be spotted, rare in the hills of snow and ice commonplace in the IceWing Kingdom.It was practically perfect. All icewings had at least one memory of this place, either good or bad. Lynx flew over to the lake stared into her reflection, looking stupidly like the heroine of a generic coming-of-age teen drama. Disgusted by her own dramaticness, she caught a fish and ate her fill with effortless precision. The water reflected the same freezing bite the entirerity of the Icewing land held and a occasional penguin could seen swimming around in the crystal clear. Diving in, the rush of cold hitt her scales in a comforting feeling only Icewings would understand. In the numbing chill of the water, Lynx had no worries. 

Was this how Seawings felt? Was this why they were so laidback and relaxed? Lynx always wondered how her life would've been if she's been born a different dragon. Well anyway, from what Winter's friend Turtle had told him, Queen Coral was anything but laidback and relaxed. The schools of fish, a group of seals here and there, polar bears and penguins, she wouldn't trade this framiliarity for anything else. The beauty of what was around them was something Icewings didn't realize. So caught up in their own lives, their own success, they forget everyone else. They made the ability to kill off the life around a status symbol, and isolated themselves from what it meant to love. That's why all Icewings grow up hating their parents or desperate to please them, only to mold into them when their childhood breezes past them in the winds of the tornados young IceWings were throw into to display their strength. That's why Lynx's parents are setting up this stupid arranged hellhole. But, this all was the reason Winter was such a special part of Lynx's life. Where Snowfall and Icicle saw an opportunity in a lone polar bear cub treading on the ice, Winter saw a life. Perhaps, a reflection of himself. What people saw as his weakness, she saw his strength. Despite being born into the royal family, with stricter standards, he still had the sanity to know that there was more to this world then just himself. Hailstorm was like that as well, but he was older and spent most of his time with Winter than any of the other dragonets. Lynx hoped Snowfall was cause enough change that nothing like what had happened to Winter, and even Icicle wouldn't repeat itself. Suddenly, life gave her the harsh reminder that she was still underwater and she swiftly flew up to the surface in a flash.