Rough Regime

Bellamy's P.O.V.

"Is this it?" Murphy drops his fork next to an empty plate.

"Afraid so," Emori presses her lips, taking the last bite of her tiny lunch portion.

We're all seated at two joined grey tables, forming a shape of the letter L, metal plates in front of us, all too big for the portions of food they carry.

"All we're gonna eat for the next five years is a tiny circle of food a day?" he gets up, angry now.

"You're free to leave if it doesn't please you," I get up, ready for a fight.

"Leave?" he mocks me, "Where? To float in the air?"

"Why don't you just chill, okay?" Clarke stands between us. "Both of you," she gives me one of her looks. Those full of expectation and hope.

"No one's full," she insists. "We can't be selfish about this. It's hard for all of us, but we'll get used to it," she tilts her head staring at Murphy. "Besides, we'll fix the plantation farm," she presses hair behind her ear. "This won't stay like this forever..." she says, but I hear she's isn't convinced in her own words.

"That's right," I take her side. "So instead of wasting your energy on fighting, go be productive in the farm. Help Raven fix it."

"Sure, Boss," he says ironically. "Why don't I clean your toilet while I'm at it?"

That's it.

I grab him by the collar and shove him against the arc's wall.
"Maybe that's exactly what you should be doing," I hiss with gritted teeth.

"No, no, that's your job, remember?" he takes a jab at me being demoted to the janitor after what happened with Octavia.

"Enough!" Echo and Clarke pull us apart.

"You keep away from me," Murphy snarls at me viciously.

"Yeah? I don't think so," I raise my chin. "You better learn how to behave, 'cause we're gonna be spending a lot of time together, bud."

He shakes his head lightly. "I ain't your bud."

"Bellamy, let's go," Echo tries to pull me away by clutching my hand, but I stand my ground.

She now grabs a hold of my hand and I see Clarke frowning at her action.

"I need your help with something," she says pulling me away.

I give up and let her drag me outside the eating quarter.
"What's wrong?" I frown.

But she just keeps on walking, dragging me through the narrow grey hallway with a low ceiling, until she stops in front of her room.
"Come," she enters, her slim hand still holding mine.

I let her hand go, but step inside.
"What's going on, Echo?" I demand, hands now in my black pants' pockets.

"I don't really need your help," she says softly, taking a seat on her bed. "I just wanted to get you to stop fighting. I grew... an intolerance for it."

I tighten my jaw, tilting my head.
"Is that so?" I'm unconvinced.

"You're my only friend here, Bellamy. My ally."

I take a seat opposite of her, my back to the door, frowning.
"You deserve to be here just like any of us."

"You saved my life, Bellamy."

I stare at her. "My life was saved many times by others, too. It's what we do," I say bitterly. "We save our own, and we kill others."

"I'm not one of you," her eyes fill with water.

"You are now," I comfort her.

There's a knock on the door.

"Yeah?" I call back as Echo stays silent.

The knob twist and Clarke's at the door.
I can't read her face expression, but she stares at Echo seemingly angry.

"What's going on?" she looks at me.

My mouth opens as I start to talk, but Echo cuts me off with an angry voice.
"We were just talking, Clarke," she gets up and walks to the door, "or is he not allowed to do that?"

Both Clarke and I frown and she speaks with a soft voice.

"I was just checking on him."

"Well," she clutches the door knob, "he's quite alright, as you can see," Echo looks at me, then shuts the door in Clarke's face.

"I mean," she shakes her head in rage. "What happened to privacy?" She takes a seat next to me, then puts her hand over my thigh.

"Echo," I grab her hand, "Clarke didn't do anything wrong," I demand.

"And there you go defending her. Like always."

I frown, getting up.
"Clarke's my best friend," I state. "And I don't like you treating her like that."

She raises an eyebrow with a teary eye.
"You sure that's all she is?"

I stare at her and suddenly feel enraged.
"I'll talk to you when you cool off," is all I say before I head for the door.

I look left and right on the hallway, but Clarke's nowhere to be seen.

I decide to check on her.

—————

End of ch 3.
Any thoughts? Liking it?