Regretting the Distancing

A/N - I know the name's kinda lame.

Ajey's POV

I felt breath escape my lungs that very moment. I understood what Yash meant. I felt as if the ground beneath my feet is opening. Yash was still looking in my eyes. I immediately picked Yash's phone and called her. I waited for 10 seconds for the ring to come. My heart was in my mouth. "The number you are dialing is out of network coverage area. Please try again later." "आपके द्वारा कॉल किया जा रहा नंबर नेटवर्क कवरेज क्षेत्र से बाहर है। बाद में पुन: प्रयास करें "

"Gaadi nikal, usse dhundne chale." I spoke firmly though uncertain about its aftermath.

Yash nodded and we ran downstairs. After some interrogations from Mom-Dad, just one word escaped our lips, "Ayesha". They had a concerned and a confused look on their faces. Ayesha was very close to them as well. Mummy used to tell me that if she ever had a daughter, she would surely be Ayesha.

Yash sat on the driver's seat and me next to him. We raced the car towards her college. It was 15 minute walking distance and took 5 minutes from the car. I was sitting and trying my level best not to imagine weird images. We then saw a junction of 3 roads. 

The first one was the way to IIT

The first one was the way to IIT. The second one was a secluded road. My eyes saw the blurry image of 3 human figurines in the midst of the empty road. I tapped Yash on the shoulder and gestured over there. We stopped at a distance and got down from the car. I strained my eyes at the people ahead.

AYESHA!!

I screamed. I rushed over the spot.

She was on the footpath struggling to fight against 2 healthy men when one of them was armed with a bamboo stick. Yash soon ran towards me. Sensing danger and a few punches later they ran away. They knew that we could get external help immediately. There was an absolute pitch dark surrounding which justified it being secluded. I turn my face towards Ayesha. I was bewildered.

She lay unconscious on my feet, probably fainted after fighting with men who had double her strength. Her face was covered with blood, due to a fatal wound on her cheekbone and scratch just below her eye. It was so bad that if she received that blow just an inch above, she would have lost her eye. A major gaping wound on left arm. She had some minor cuts on her knee as well which stained her light blue jeans with deep red marks. All the wounds were excruciatingly painful. My eyes were filled with tears the moment I saw her.

She stirred a little bit.

I carefully picked her up and took her to the car.

"Hospital chal jaldi aur maa ko mai maa ko phone kar raha hoo." I spoke, letting my tears flow. 

Maa was a doctor, so I quickly called her while Yash drove towards Breach Candy Hospital which was very near to her house and Maa worked there only. Maa was so alarmed when I told about Ayesha. She had informed the necessary doctors to be ready. We reached and she was soon admitted to the casualty ward.

Yash and me were sitting outside, glancing the watch which displayed 9:25 pm. The most difficult 15 minutes of our life. We were still sitting in an alarmed position, not daring to look at each other. I had anxiety issues and always preferred to cry my eyes out to remove my frustration and sadness. Ironically, Yash is complete opposite. He is a tough guy who barely cries. But I did see a hint of tears in his eyes. 

The clock struck 9:50. Mum and the other surgeons came out quickly. Mum was trembling. I ran towards them. Seeing my scared expression, Dr.Kasbekar spoke, " We have sterilized the wounds. They are indeed fatal. She must have gone through a lot of pain. But everything is fine. Give her these medicines on time and she will be in pain for atleast a week. Just nurse her well. She will soon regain consciousness. The affect of the anesthesia will wear off soon." 

I heaved a sigh of relief and stammered to say this, "Uncle, w-we will t-take her our h-home now. Is it f-fine?"

He nodded. Mum had a weak and encouraging smile. Soon, Ayesha was taken out side from the stretcher and we reached home from the ambulance. I was continuously blaming my stupid ego for this entire incident.

I took her and placed her on my bed, not hurting the whole cluster of cotton and bandages. There were stitches on her left arm. She was in the hospital clothes. Even after immense cleaning, there were trickles of blood glowing brightly on the bandages. Yash, Maa and Papa were too tired and weren't able to digest the truth, so they went off to sleep. 

My slumber had vanished completely. I waited for some time. She was still unconscious.  I dragged my chair near her bed. I saw that her phone was dead. I put it to charge. She had tried calling a couple of people. I took one of her hands in mine. I enclosed it in mine tightly. I kept Yoda, next to her injured left arm. I started surfing on my phone to distract myself. I had vowed not to go to sleep until she was speaking and completely comfortable.

The clock struck 11:50. I was reading comments of my old videos. I felt a movement in my other hand. A tremble.

A-Ajey?! 

A pale voice in form of a barely audible whisper.

*********************************************

OOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Finally new chapter. First of all SORRY for late updates. A series of excuses lined up...

Stupid lectures. Ha velle bhi kabhi kabar busy ho jate hai.

And I was contemplating a lot whether I should write this chapter or not.

Aur kuch kahu??

Aaj ki bakchodi samapth.