Chapter IV

Seven years later....

The words on the computer monitor before me seemed to be searing into the backs of my retinas. I couldn't seem to focus as I had diverted my attention to my night with the girl's. It was time to take another name down in my book--something I've kept very close to as of recent.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I slipped it out and checked the text message that just came through.

Melody: We still on??

I smiled and texted her back, thinking of her on her break at her waitressing gig. She couldn't seem to find a job that stuck, so she was on job number... well I lost count.

Me: Yes. Rolly's?

Rolly became our new hangout ever since we were legal enough to drink. However, we still had a soft spot for our diner East City, which we spend our money on weekend breakfasts. Cecilia still worked there, so that hasn't changed, and her red hair was still as fiery as ever. Though her age was starting to show through minor wrinkles around her eyes and a few specs of gray scattered throughout her head of red waves.

I returned my phone back into my pocket and focused back on my task at hand. I was entering data, which the numbers seemed to be muddling together. It didn't take Melody long before she shot me back a response.

Melody: Of course!

We were going to peruse the lineup of guys at Rolly's. Yes, there were regulars, but the majority were tourists or new comers. Our targets were the new comers, because once we were finished, we could drop them with ease.

I texted back a quick response, so I could go back to focusing on my work with just a half an hour to go.

Me: Sweet! TTYL!

Somehow the days and the weekends melded together. We weren't out scouting the streets every night, but my body count may be ticking close to the triple digits. Regular screenings were always a must--luckily no scares this far. Melody was the same, but Elizabeth had lost her gusto. This kind of life wasn't her style, and I couldn't blame her. She comes along for the rides, but most of the time bails when Melody and I pick our target for the night.

When it was time for my shift to be over, I packed up my things at my desk and headed out for the night.

I stopped by my place for a brief moment to change out of my business casual into something a little sassy. A black strapless number with bright red heels should do the trick tonight. I applied minimal makeup, but enough to charm, because I didn't want to scrub the gunk off my face later.

Closing the door to my apartment, I headed down the stairs and out the hallway to my car. The city was alive with energy, and the feeling was contagious.

When I walked into Rolly's, Melody was already perched in our usual spot. She spotted me and waved in greeting. As I got closer, I noticed she had ordered a few drinks. "Rough day?" I questioned her as I sat down in the booth and grabbed one of her filled glasses.

Melody laughed and responded, "You wouldn't even know the half of it."

"Enlighten me," I coaxed.

"My mom is sick and my brother is back in town," Melody said with a distasteful frown on her face.

"Your mother is sick? With what?" I asked, though I did not miss Melody saying that Alec was back in town. Alec had left as soon as he graduated high school. He got a degree in engineering and has avoided coming back to this city. I couldn't blame him, because he admitted one night to his family and home environment being toxic and sometimes unbearable.