Chapter VIII

The text conversation I had with the girls seemed to replay in my head. I wasn't sure what the addition the two boys would make, but I didn't feel like it would add to a girl's weekend--only diminish it. I wondered if it was too late to back out now.

I looked at the food in front of me without really seeing what I was buying. After I scrounged around a depleted refridgerator, I broke down and went to the store. However, my trip seemed to be sabotaged by my overactive thoughts.

"Olivia?" A male voice interrupted my thoughts.

Alec looked very different under the lights of the store versus the bar. The years were kind to him, and I sat there admiring his beauty before he repeated himself, snapping me out of my daze. "Olivia, are you alright?"

I nodded while verbally adding, "I'm great. Long time, no see, huh?"

Alec raised an eye brow at my joke. "Am I supposed to find that funny?" He never was one to pick up on the sarcasm.

"So what are you doing here?" I asked.

Laughing, Alec commented, "I could ask you the same thing. Mom's fridge was a bit more depleted than I'd like."

"Are you staying with her?" I questioned.

Alec shook his head. "I'm staying at a hotel as of right now. I'm not sure I want to get into that debacle again."

"Debacle?" I never understood why he left, but maybe his relationship with his mother had something to do with it? I was just speculating, but it seemed that while Alec was here, he wanted to spend as little time with his mom as possible.

Shaking his head to deter my future questions, Alec changed the topic to me. "Have a fun night last weekend?" He winked.

I groaned and held up a hand to stop him from mentioning anything further. "I cannot believe Alec Blair is asking me about my sex life." I pushed my cart to gain some distance between Alec and I, but he trailed right beside me as if he didn't get the hint.

"So I'll take that as a no?" Alec urged.

I raised an eye brow at Alec before I checked the expiration date on the container of yogurt I held in my hand. "I really don't think that is any of your business," I said.

"Whoa, shots fired. I thought we could have a civil conversation," Alec commented as he picked up some cottage cheese. I made a face and he inquired, "What? Don't like cottage cheese?"

I shook my head. "Why does it matter to you?"

"I didn't realize you could be fiesty after...." Alec was going to refer back to a night many years ago that I'd rather not visit.

"Don't go there," I warned.

"Peace," Alec said. "Look, it's been years, and I figured we got off on the wrong foot."

I laughed and put a couple of containers of yogurt in my cart before moving on. "You'll always be my Knight in Shining Armor."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" Alec questioned as he kept up with me.

I sighed and paused. "Were you always this dim-witted?"

"Ouch."

I had an epiphany just then. As much as Alec annoyed me, he would make the trip more interesting. Melody would blow a gasket, and this would shake things up. Narrowing my eyes as I looked him up and down, I stood pondering a moment on the bright idea that lit up my mind.

"Are you eyeing me up to eat me?" Alec asked hesitantly, looking around for other shoppers.

I shook my head and responded, "No."