Kicked to the Curb

"Alright Evelyn, I think you can go home now. Let me just grab the discharge papers, and you can be on your way in seconds." My nurse, Ashley, said as she smiled at me, proud of all the progress I have made. She was gone in a matter of seconds, and eventually the clacking sound of her heels became drowned out by a miserable silence and the mind numbing beeps of all the machines I'd just been detached from.

As seconds turned into minutes, dread washed over me like a tsunami hitting an island. Any second now, and I would be handed back over to my miserable life. I heard heavy footsteps approaching, and I looked up to face him. The man who got me in this mess in the first place. He nonchalantly walked toward my bedside, standing near me awaiting the nurse's arrival.

I lay there, not even wanting to meet his eyes. What he's done to me could never be forgiven.

The sound of crashing dishes and screams echoed throughout Aaron's apartment. We were fighting. And it went too far. He had me pinned up against the kitchen countertops, and I could see the rage boiling inside of him, as he glared at me with fire in his eyes.

"I can't believe you would betray me like this!" He seethed. At this point, there was nothing I could do. "You fucking went behind my back and saw him, didn't you?" He now wore a pained expression, hate still evident in his eyes. "You fucking lying little shit! "

"I-" I began, but I didn't have the energy to fight him.

"You know what? Fucking leave. Take your shit and move OUT!" He screamed, forcefully grabbing my wrist and throwing me out of the apartment door.

What happened, though, was not even close to the assumptions he had conjured up inside his head. Dylan was a friend of mine, someone I've known since we were practically babies. Aaron hated him for some reason, and was angered about the fact that I went out with him and some of my other friends to celebrate his twenty first birthday. For some reason, Aaron never understood me when I tried to explain that Dylan was gay, and that I wasn't ever even interested in him, and so he resorted to kicking me out of the house because I wouldn't miss out on celebrating one of my best friend's biggest milestones.

That night I took my car and drove as far away as I could, as fast as I could. I was heartbroken, that Aaron wouldn't understand me, and also because he had literally kicked me out. But I couldn't get away from him that easily.

I ended up crashing into a semi, and thankfully, the accident didn't injure anyone else but me. I expected him to show up when I was in the hospital, and he did. Even though I was in a coma, I could hear everything that was going on around me. He came to visit me every so often, and he would act super lovey-dovey around me whenever someone was near. But when he was alone, I would hear him call numerous other women and schedule hookups with them. At one point, he stopped visiting, and hadn't returned for at least a month, until someone told him about my good progress.

At first, I didn't want to live anymore. I wanted everything to be over. I wanted life to end, but mainly for Aaron to go away. But without his presence, I had a lot of time to myself, to really gather who I was and start healing. I concluded that I wouldn't need him, maybe I'd end up homeless and in debt, but I'd get myself a job and things would hopefully work out. I was determined to get going, and since he left, I made some major progress in the hospital.

But when I awoke from the coma about a week ago, he came back, acting the same way as usual around everybody until we were left alone. I never could find the courage to say anything, so I just stayed silent and hoped he would go away.

And then, it was time to be discharged.

I finally felt strong now, at least strong enough to end things with Aaron, for good.