Where Did She Go?

WARNING: DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, BLOOD, AND POLICE IN THIS CHAPTER. If this is triggering for you, please know that is not my intention. Scroll to the bottom, I'll put a summary at the end of this chapter.

Chester sat at his table for a few more minutes. He was growing skeptical because Evelyn still hadn't come back. He quickly set a 20 on the table and ran outside. She was nowhere to be found. Did she get tired of me? Chester sighed in desperation. He tried calling her phone but it went to voicemail. He ran around the block, but she was still nowhere to be found.

"Evelyn?" He called, frantically searching now. "Evelyn!" People were staring at him now, but he didn't care. He had a gut feeling something was wrong.

"Evelyn? Evelyn!" He called again, accidentally bumping into a tall man who seemed about his age. "Sorry." He mumbled, before brushing past him.

"Wait!" The man called to him, "Evelyn as in short blonde Evelyn?"

Chester stopped dead in his tracks. "Yeah, who are you?" The man eyed him, clearly taking interest in the man.

"I'm Dylan, Evelyn is my best friend."

"Where are you taking me?" Evelyn asked bitterly.

"Shut up already, woman." Aaron seethed, he pulled his van up to their old apartment. He then took her hand and practically dragged her inside.

Memories flooded Evelyn's mind as she re entered this hell hole, ones she tried to bury deep down, never to see the light of day again. Aaron grabbed a beer from the fridge and began drinking it.

The place was a mess. Beer cans littered the floor, food wrappers were everywhere, and the whole place smelled like cigarettes. At least when Evelyn had lived here, she'd kept it clean. She smiled as she remembered Chester's apartment. It was cleaner than this at least.

"So, who was that man you were with?" Aaron boomed, plopping himself on the couch.

"Who, Chester?" She asked, fully knowing he would mock her, but it was better to be mocked than to be hurt.

"Chester? Aaron mocked. "You're sleeping with a Chester?"

"No I-" Evelyn began, shocked that he'd assume that of her. She hadn't slept with him.

"Wow. You've changed Evelyn." Aaron's drunken laughter echoed throughout the room. "What, do you live with him?"

Evelyn nodded, afraid of what would happen next. "You do, don't you?" Aaron now stood up, circling around Evelyn like a vulture. "He doesn't want you, you know. He only lets you live with him cuz you sleep with him. That's it, I'm right, huh?"

"No-" Evelyn tried again, but she knew she wouldn't get through to him.

"I'm right, because that's all you're good for. You're worthless, you know that? Men only want you for sex." Aaron bellowed.

Evelyn felt a rush of adrenaline in her veins, seeming to give her confidence. "Men? You're no man, you're a coward." She spat, standing up to him, fully knowing there would be consequences.

Aaron let out an ear piercing scream, he was enraged. You could see it in his eyes as he lunged toward Evelyn, who leapt out of the way and locked herself in the bathroom.

Aaron tried opening the door, furiously shaking the handle but realizing it was no use. He began pounding at the door, shouting obscenities at Evelyn, who cowered in the corner of the room.

Her mind traveled to Chester, would he notice that she was gone? Would he come find her? Would she ever see him again? Was Aaron right, was Chester only letting Evelyn stay with him because he planned to sleep with her? Everything became too overwhelming, Evelyn cried as Aaron nearly broke down the door.