ii. James Already has a Crush. Who's Surprised? Not Me

The rest of the train ride passed smoothly, and James chatted easily with his three new friends. They talked about their families and the things they were excited for. James learned that Remus was quiet but well-spoken, and Peter seemed sweet but rather timid. Sirius was similar to James in that he talked constantly, but he noticed that the boy became uncomfortable when asked about his own family, often avoiding questions. However, James shook off his suspicions as they arrived at their destination. It had gotten dark, and as James disembarked from the train, his eyes found the figure of the fiery haired girl who- to his dismay- was laughing at something that Snivellus had said.

"Earth to James, are you still with us? Sirius smiled goofily as he saw who his new friend was staring at. "Or has a certain fiery spirit caught your eye?"

"Oh, stuff it," James shoved his friend playfully, but did not deny it.

"Firs' years! Firs' years, follow me to the boats," the gruff voice came from an abnormally large man who held a lantern, casting light over the dark and crowded platform. "The name's Hagrid, I'm the groundskeeper here at Hogwarts." They eagerly followed Hagrid down to the lake. "No more than four in a boat, now," he said as he splashed towards the boat at the front.

"This works out well," said Sirius excitedly. The four boys hopped in a wooden canoe and laughed in delight as the boats magically pulled themselves forward.

Soon, the majestic castle came into view, the bright lights of the windows glinting in contrast with the dark sky. James marveled at how grand it was, seeing the enormous turrets and towers that he couldn't wait to explore. They soon arrived, walking up from the boathouse into the expansive front entrance.

A witch in emerald green robes and a stern expression appeared in front of them. Her presence seemed to silence everyone around her, and they stood in anticipation of what she was about to say.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. My name is Professor McGonagall. In just a few moments, you will enter through these doors into the Great Hall where you will be sorted into one of the four houses. These are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin," she said, pursing her lips at the mention of Slytherin house. "While you are here, your house will be like your family. Any triumphs will earn you points, but any rule breaking and you will lose points. The house with the most points at the end of the year wins the House Cup." McGonagall left momentarily and chatter erupted among the excited first years.

"How d'you reckon they choose which house you'll be in?" asked Peter.

"There's a talking hat," Remus responded.

"How does a talking hat decide anything?" Sirius wondered.

"They place it on your head and it evaluates your most prominent personality traits." Remus said calmly.

"Well you're certainly bright," James commented. "How d'you know all this?"

Before Remus had time to respond, McGonagall had come back. "We're ready for you now,"

Great Hall doors opened to reveal a vast room with a ceiling that reflected the starry night sky above them. Candles were suspended from midair and four long tables sat lined up perpendicular to a raised platform and another table where all the teachers sat. In the centre of the teacher's table sat who James knew was none other than Albus Dumbledore, the most powerful wizard in the world and the Headmaster of Hogwarts. The first years looked around in awe as they walked down to the front of the marvelous hall.

McGonagall stood on the podium next to a stool with a very old looking hat. "When I call your name, you will come to the front and I will place the Sorting Hat upon your head," she announced, unravelling a scroll. "Avery, Sebastian,"