ix. They Don't Look for Trouble, Trouble Looks for Them

Despite his detentions with McGonagall every night, the week seemed to fly by for James. He refrained from causing any mischief for the next month, and tried his best to focus on his priorities, just like he had been told. He diverted his attention to his school work, earning high marks in all of his classes, even History of Magic. He even made progress with Lily, who had greatly reduced the number of icy glares she shot his way.

Despite all these positive outcomes, James was bored. He craved the feeling of adventure and mischief, and he could tell Sirius was getting restless too.

Their chance for adventure came when Remus announced that he was off to visit his mum again. He left early one crisp October morning, leaving the three boys bored and worried.

"I feel awful," James said that night. "I hope his mum is okay."

"Me too," Peter squeaked.

"I want to be here for him when he gets back," said Sirius. "What if we met him on his way in?"

"He said he'd be coming back really late," said Peter. "We'd get caught out of bed. We should just stay in the common room and wait for him here."

"Oh come on Peter, are you a man or a mouse?" Sirius guffawed and playfully clapped Peter on the back. "We'll be careful, we'll hide behind the suits of armour and the statues and we'll make funny faces at him. That ought to cheer him up! And the teacher won't see us, it'll be perfect!"

"I'm in," James grinned, eager to cause some mischief again.

"Oh alright," groaned Peter. "But if we get caught you both get the blame."

*\

The night for Remus' return had come quickly. James, Sirius and Peter were in the common room, waiting for it to clear out so they could make their exit. The only people that remained were a few sixth years, along with Lily's friends Marlene McKinnon, Alice Fortescue and Mary MacDonald. However, Lily was not with them.

"I better change out of my robes," James muttered. "Don't want any long cloaks giving me away."

Sirius and Peter nodded and he raced up to the dorm, rummaging through his trunk to find something to wear. His hand brushed past a package and he frowned, pulling it out of his trunk. He realized with disgust that he hadn't yet unpacked his trunk, despite being settled in for over a month now. He hadn't worn much else other than his robes and the same two pairs of pyjamas. He had completely forgotten about the present his father had put in his trunk.

The package was lumpy, tied with a ribbon. A note was attached to the side.

Dearest James, it read.

This is a Potter family heirloom that each father has passed on to their son. Use it well.

James tore the package open, and a silvery fabric spilled out into his hands.

He frowned. A cloak?

Shrugging, he walked over the mirror and put it on. His jaw instantly dropped to the ground — not that he could see it. He was invisible!

James ran down the stairs as quietly as he could. The common room now empty save for the figures of Sirius and Peter sitting by the fire. He took the cloak off his head, wrapping it around his shoulders.

Peter gave a loud yelp. "Merlin's beard, Sirius! There's a floating James head!"

Sirius turned around with a start, his eyes going wide as James took the cloak off. "Is that an Invisibility Cloak?"

Peter walked over and ran the fabric through his fingers. "These are so rare," he marveled. "Where on earth did you get one?"

James was grinning from ear to ear. "It was my dad's, he gave it to me," he said. "It's been in my trunk this whole time, but I hadn't even unpacked it yet."

Sirius snorted. "That's gross. But this will make our mission so much easier! Will it cover all three of us?"

They huddled under the cloak which was more than large enough to easily conceal the three boys. They stepped through the portrait hole and shuffled down the corridors.

"Shhh, do you hear that?" Sirius whispered. "Someone's there."

They tiptoed through an archway and saw Lily and Snape standing together on a set of stairs, deep in conversation.

"I'm not saying I don't want you to make friends, because I do," Lily was saying. "But why Mulciber and Avery? They're bad news."

"It's not like your friends are any better," Snape replied hotly.

Lily crossed her arms. "What've you got against Marlene, Alice and Mary?"

Snape scowled. "Not them. I'm talking about that arrogant swine Potter and his cronies."

Sirius elbowed James in the stomach.

"Potter isn't my friend," Lily scoffed.

"Then why are you always defending him?"

"Because lately, you've been acting just as bad as he has," Lily looked him in the eye. "I don't understand why you have to sink to their level. Sev, before you made friends with Mulciber and Avery, you'd never harm anyone, but now you're cursing people. You've changed."

Snape was silent. He looked like he was trying to choose his words very carefully. "It's important," he said slowly, "to be safe."

James, Sirius and Peter were thoroughly confused, and from the look on Lily's face, so was she. "You're going to need to explain that one to me, Severus,"

Snape looked pained. "Since when is it Severus?"

Lily sighed. "I don't know... I just feel like I hardly know you anymore."

"Of course you know me, Lily," Snape pleaded. "We're still friends, we still care about each other... I still care about you," he said quietly. He put his hand on her shoulder, which she quickly shrugged off. Snape looked stung.

"I do care about you, you're just making the wrong friends."

Snape snorted. "And who would the right ones be? Potter and his gang?"

"Why do you always bring him up? You're just as much to blame for those fights."

"He's... he's just... he's arrogant!" Snape snarled, clearly about to say something much worse. James fought back the urge to laugh.

"Maybe so," Lily said coldly. "But at least his friends aren't into the Dark Arts." Snape was staring at the floor, and Lily softened her tone. "I just don't understand," she said quietly. "I want to, I really do, but I just don't get it."

Snape looked up at her. "Something's coming," he said quietly. "Something big. Soon, we're all going to have to choose sides."

"What do you mean?"

"It's not about me supporting the Dark Arts or not," Snape said. "It's about staying safe."

"There's always a choice between doing what is right and doing what is easy."

Snape raised his voice slightly. "That's incredibly naive. Better dark than dead—"

"Oh, is that what you people are saying now?" Lily's eyes flashed. "Better Dark than Dead? Well, I don't want anything to do with it, and I'm appalled that you would."

Lily stormed off, leaving Snape alone on the stairs.

Once she was out of earshot, Sirius put his finger to his lips and pulled out his wand. "Glisseo," he whispered.

Snape yelled out in surprise as the staircase he was standing on turned into a slide, sending him tumbling to the bottom.

He stood up and straightened himself out, looking around in alarm. When he realized there was no one in sight, his features scrunched in fury. "Potter!" he spat. Then he stomped off.

Sirius let out the laugh he had been holding in, James and Peter soon joining. When they had finally calmed down, they continued on their way to the front entrance.

"What d'you reckon Snape was on about?" asked James.

"He said something big was coming and we're all going to have to choose sides," Sirius recounted. "Although he seemed to know more than he let on."