Chapter 7: A Quick Escape

He finally let me wander around my room, which I think was less than I truly deserved. I seldom was able to occupy myself, so I paced the room aimlessly, trying to plot a way out. I had one window, but it was barred, other than that, there was the door.

I heard him walking down the hall and going to my room. Quickly, I ran and jumped onto "my" bed, looking as innocent as possible. He stopped at my door, turning the knob slowly.

I rolled over, putting the fakest smile on my face, "Well hi there Prince Charming," I say sarcastically. "How are you doing this fine day?"

He looked at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes, came towards my bed, and grabbed my arm roughly. I cowered in fear, helplessly hoping he wouldn't be in here to beat and/or use me again. He pulled me up and off of the bed, giving me nothing but a quick glance.

Pulling me after him and into the living room, he tells me to sit down on the soft couch, and I do. Next, he just turns around and leaves, seriously? So he takes me out here just so he can leave?? I was a bit dumbfounded you can presume, but soon he came back with a huge box of what looked like files. What the hell is this?! I looked at him in disbelief.

He drops the box down with a loud thud and tells me to look through it. I warily nod my head "yes" in response, my once brilliant black hair, now matted and stiff. I scoot myself to the edge if my seat, reaching out for the box's lid. I hesitate a moment, aware that my captor is watching me.

I lift the lid to find files. Just like I thought... I wondered why he would show me these, why wouldn't he just kill me already? I begin to rummage through the box, finding different articles on missing persons and UFO correlations. What in God's name...

I keep going through these, now fully interested, until I look up to find that I'm not being watched anymore.
On a quick burst of impulsiveness, I hop up and head for the door, opening it quickly, then running out into the cold. I ran as fast as I could, my bare feet hitting the icy ground like rocks.

Trees whip by as I make my escape.
I remember hoping this moment of freedom would last forever, that my battered body would find my home and I'd be able to seek refuge. But maybe my escape was too quick, too sudden.