Epilogue

**Peter's POV**

"Are you sure you want to spend Christmas with my family?" Jenna asked me skeptically.

"Absolutely. This will be a new experience for me. I don't remember the last time I wasn't skiing with Joe during the holidays."

"And your brother doesn't mind that you're not in Colorado with him?"

"Do you not want me to come with you or something?" I tease her.

"No, I just want you to be comfortable. I don't want you to feel pressured. We really haven't known each other very long."

"You sound more nervous than I am."

"Maybe a little. My parents and my extended family are great. I think I'm more nervous they're going to embarrass me when they find out who you are."

"You haven't told them about me yet?"

"I told them your name is Peter and that you took me in during the storm. I also told them that we're dating and you're a writer. However, I have not told them you are P. L. Masters." She bites her lip nervously.

"I see." I pull her into a hug. "I take it your dad is going to be a little excited to meet me?"

"There's a good chance he'll try to sell your used dinner napkin online."

I burst out in laughter. "So maybe we should stop back at my place to grab some autographed photos?"

"Maybe."

"Hey, relax. It'll be fine. We should probably get going or we're going to be late."

*************

"Mom...Dad...we're here!" Jenna called as we walked in the door of her parent's house.

An older woman, a spitting image of Jenna appeared before us, pulling Jenna into a hug.

"Oh baby girl, am I happy to see you."

"Hi Mom."

She pulled away from Jenna and her eyes fell to me. I greeted her with a smile and before I could say anything she pulled me into a hug as well. "Peter, I am so thrilled you decided to join us. I can't thank you enough for taking care of my Jenna during that awful storm."

"It was my pleasure, ma'am. I'm happy to be here. Thank you for having me."

She pulled away and swatted my chest, "None of that "ma'am" nonsense, you call me Louise."

"Thank you, Louise."

"Bill, get in here. Come say hi to Jenna and Peter." Louise yelled through the house.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." He grumbled walking into the room.

"Hi Daddy."

"Hey, baby. How was the drive?"

"Oh, it was fine."

"You must be Peter." He extended his hand to shake mine. "Heard a lot about you, son."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, sir."

Louise interrupted us, "Don't you dare Peter, you call him Bill."

Bill leaned in close to me, "You best listen to Louise, she's not one you wanna cross, trust me."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"So Mom, when's everyone else supposed to be here?" Jenna asked.

"Oh, not until tomorrow, so it'll just be the four of us tonight. In fact, dinner should be ready, why don't you all come sit down and I'll bring out the food. Bill, come help me please."

"Yes, dear."

I lean into Jenna, "I like them."

"They like you too, I can tell."

As we sit down, Louise and Bill brought out lasagna, salad and garlic bread.

"So Peter, Jenna tells us you're a writer. What type of writing do you do?" Louise asked me.

Jenna and I shared a quick, knowing look. "I'm a novelist, mostly mystery and suspense."

"You hear that Bill? You love those types of books. Jenna, you'll have to get us one of Peter's books so we can read it."

Bill just nods his head in agreement with a mouthful of salad.

"Actually Mom, Dad already has all of Peter's books. He's Peter Masters. P. L. Masters."

The sound of silverware hitting a dinner plate echoed though the dining room.

"Well, I'll be..." Louise breathes out, shock evident on her face.

Jenna's Dad was frozen in place, his hand still lifted as if the fork was in his hand, although it had since tumbled onto the table.

"Dad, Peter just recently finished the first draft of his new book."

"That's right, Bill. It's due to be released later next year." I said, trying to snap him from his frozen state.

"Excuse me." Bill suddenly stands from the table and leaves the room.

"Bill....well that was rude. I'm so sorry, Peter. I don't know what's gotten into him. He really is a big fan of yours." Louise tries to apologize on Bill's behalf.

Before I can respond, Bill returns with what appears to be a stack of all my books in his arms. He sets them on the table beside me and moves his chair next to me and hands me a pen.

"Dad!"
"Bill!"

Jenna and her Mom say in unison.

I just laugh. "Bill, I'd be more than happy to sign all of these for you."

"After dinner." Louise firmly interjects, scowling at Bill.

"Peter, I just love this last one. The Unspoken Promise, riveting stuff. You have a real gift, son."

"Well, thank you Bill. I'm glad you enjoyed it."

"So what do you got planned for this new book?"

"Bill! Will you please leave him alone so we can all finish eating? Y'all can talk about books later."

Bill reluctantly moves his chair back to the other side of the table, giving Jenna an approving thumbs up on his way, to which Jenna and I stifle a laugh.

"Jenna, why on earth wouldn't you have told us that Peter is a famous writer?"

"I didn't want you two to treat him any different. He's just a normal guy, Mom."

"Oh honey, we wouldn't embarrass you."

Jenna motions to her dad and then the stack of books still beside me, "Clearly." She says sarcastically.

"Oh, your father's just excited, that's all."

Louise had made it very clear to Bill that the remainder of dinner would be spent NOT talking about my books. We told them a little more about our days at the cabin and Louise swooned when Jenna shared the story of me showing up at her work. All in all, it was mostly your typical meet the parents dinner and it helped me relax at the thought of meeting the rest of Jenna's family tomorrow.

Jenna and I may not have met under the most normal or common of circumstances, but we had managed to make something wonderful regardless. I was excited to see where it would take us.

The End