Nathan's Night-Night

November 1, 2019

2:45 a.m.

The echo of police sirens greeted Nathan as he sat at the bus stop, and he watched as a tight formation of police cruisers sped down the street. He guessed that they were en route to the Sarasaland Royal Palace, as they'd no doubt received news of Princess Daisy's tragic demise. Whether or not they'd be of any real help at this point was debatable.

Nathan took out his phone and opened the Messenger app, where he updated Luigi on the situation.

They canceled my flight, he typed, so I'll just have to play the waiting game. I'm praying for your victory and for your safe return.

Afterward, he opened the Skype app, leaving it on an active call, just in case.

Blue and red lights flashed as another phalanx of police cars raced down the street. Nathan theorized that due to Daisy's passing, an emergency meeting regarding all of the encompassing kingdoms would no doubt be in order tomorrow morning. Would he still be alive when the sun came up, though? Hopefully, but there was a persistent nagging feeling that he wouldn't.

For many minutes, Nathan sat at that bus stop, staring at his phone screen, waiting for something. Anything. But with Luigi's fate still up in the air, the waiting and hoping began to drive him mad. Perhaps it had driven him mad already.

Time dragged itself forward. An unnerving chill crept into the bus stop. There was complete silence, save for some Boos cackling. The sadistic little p—cks materialized from all around, watching Nathan wait. Watching him slowly lose it. He could feel their breath against the back of his neck; he could feel their tongues brushing against his skin. A plethora of Boos were now gathered around him, savoring every moment of despair and desperation.

Finally, Nathan realized that a bus wasn't coming anytime soon, got to his feet and started walking, looking for a suitable building to shelter in place.

He stopped when he heard a notification chime from his phone. But the chime sounded a little—off.

Nathan retrieved his phone and saw that his conversation with Luigi was active. Curious, he opened the conversation—and almost everything in his body froze when he saw the cryptic message.

You are too late.

What are you talking about?

I think you know, Nathan. Did you actually believe that he'd be a match for me?

Nathan felt his intestines twist.

The Boos following him cackled.

Must be a real bummer, knowing that all of your main's valiant efforts were in the end for naught.

"No—please..."

A terrible disappointment he must be to you now. I won't be surprised if you mained someone else after this.

"You sick [bleep]. You're lying," growled Nathan. "Luigi's not dead. You're lying!"

Am I? 3:D

The "incoming video call" jingle sounded on Nathan's Skype. Feeling nauseous and shaking in every limb, he answered it.

King Boo leered at him, an expression of morbid satisfaction and accomplishment on his features.