3. Blood on the Threshold

Possible trigger warning
This chapter includes; Blood and violence.

Max returned home from work, unlocking the front door with a sense of relief that quickly turned to horror. The house was a scene of devastation—broken glass and dark, ominous pools of blood painted every surface. "What the fuck am I looking at" Max screamed loudly
His heart raced as he moved through the wreckage, pinching himself repeatedly in a desperate attempt to wake up. "Something bad had happened, something real," he muttered to himself, scanning every corner for any sign of his father. But the house was eerily silent, devoid of any human presence except for the haunting evidence of violence.
It was then that Max's gaze fell upon the shed in the backyard—a place he both dreaded and knew he had to check. With trembling hands, he pushed open the creaking door.
Inside lay a shocking tableau: a man from the restaurant where Max worked, bloodied and battered, barely clinging to life. Max's father knelt beside him, a mixture of fury and disappointment etched on his face. "You think you can steal from me and get away with it?" his father's voice boomed, echoing through the small space. Max recoiled, his mind racing with disbelief and fear.
Without a word, Max fled the house, his feet pounding the pavement until he found himself in an abandoned park, where rusting swings and overgrown grass offered a surreal sanctuary. Collapsing onto the ground, he cried out in anguish, trying to comprehend the nightmare he had just witnessed.
In the eerie stillness, the crunch of leaves announced approaching footsteps. Max looked up to find himself surrounded by six imposing figures, one of whom he recognized immediately: Valentino, his boss. "Why are you out here all alone, little guy?" Valentino's voice, surprisingly gentle, cut through the silence like a knife.
"I saw something I shouldn't have," Max stammered, his voice betraying his terror as the men closed in around him. Exhausted and overwhelmed, he felt trapped, unable to escape the gravity of what he had witnessed.
Valentino exchanged a signal with his men, and they stepped back, allowing Max a breathless moment of reprieve. As tension eased, Valentino crouched before him, his expression unreadable yet strangely comforting. "Now tell me, what did you see?" he asked, his voice tinged with an unexpected urgency.
"My dad... he was..." Max faltered, tears welling in his eyes. "He was... he was killing someone."
Valentino recoiled, shock and anger flashing across his face. "He was WHAT?" he exclaimed, he was stuck in disbelief, he actually felt bad for Max.

Word counter: 423