1. A New Dawn

Max had pleaded with his father for months until, finally, he secured a job at the French restaurant that once bore his family's name. Ownership had shifted to a wealthy investor, but Max's father retained a stake in what was now known as Old Paris Cafe.
Startled awake by his blaring alarm, Max groggily silenced it, realizing with a jolt that today marked his debut at the restaurant. Despite its misleading name, he knew it wasn't just a cafe. Panic surged as he scrambled through his morning routine, muttering about the sudden burst of exercise.
Arriving breathless at the restaurant, Max felt the weight of unfamiliar gazes as he entered. His tardiness did not go unnoticed, greeted by the imposing figure of Valentino Rose, the new owner. Clad in black with an aura of authority, Valentino's presence was intimidating. "You're late, Max." Valentino smirked, amused.
Apologies stumbled from Max's lips "my alarm didn't go off I'm so sorry, please don't fire me" but he was quickly interrupted by laughter from Kyle, a familiar face who reassured him with a grin "he'd never fire Grover's son" Despite the initial tension, Valentino remained stoic, leading Max to his duties for the day. Nervous but determined, Max followed Valentino into the kitchen, where an unexpected scene unfolded.
Men, not dressed for culinary duties, lounged amidst crates, some handling unconventional items. Max's unease grew, yet he concealed it as Valentino assigned him a peculiar task—to discreetly serve a table with a menu concealing illicit substances, 'what the actual fuck...' Max thought, still handing the 'menu' to the oddly well dressed junkies.
Shaken by the revelation, Max questioned his role "what am I supposed to be doing at this restaurant.." stepping away momentarily to gather his thoughts. Confronting Valentino, he voiced his discomfort, the taller male stood back, calmly and finally spoke "You can help out with our little... operation" Valentino smiled, not innocently but not condescending either.
Relieved yet apprehensive, Max returned to his duties, navigating through his first shift with newfound caution.
Exhaustion weighed heavily upon him, "when can I finish man" Max whined at Kyle, He laughed "you've been here for 7 hours, Val wants to see you in his office then you're able to go home kid" Kyle spoke happily as he leaded Max to the owners office.
"You're probably wondering why you're here, hm? Well. I have a deal for you, kid."
Confused, Max nodded and gestured for Valentino to continue. "You'll be handling the drugs and also normal waiter things, got it? I need you to handle the food also, because apparently normal people actually still want to eat here" Val snickered and Max broke out in giggles, which made The much Taller male turn around and smile.
Max left 10 minutes after the interaction a smiling mess, he was exhausted of the unexpected turn of events that defined his day.
Choosing a longer route home through a familiar forest, Max sought solace in the tranquility of nature, reflecting on the challenges and revelations of the day.
Homecoming brought a terse exchange with his father, whose probing questions echoed Max's own uncertainties about his evolving role at the restaurant. "Dad, I'll be fine. I'm a big boy, I can handle it" the small male sighed, tired of his father's questions.

As Max retreated to his room, he pondered the complexities ahead, realizing that this job represented more than just employment—it was a journey into adulthood, where each day promised new tests of courage and integrity.

Word count: 586