Chapter 9

Morning had finally come. Today was Ruby's birthday. The child sat up in bed with a grin. She couldn't believe this day had finally come! Ruby looked over near her dresser and saw a present sitting there. Curious, Ruby climbed out of bed and ran over to the box kneeling in front of it. Turns out it was a gift from Tony. Ruby carefully unwrapped the gift and smiled at the present Tony left her along with a note. "Happy Birthday, Ruby! Hope you like it!" it read. And she did. Instead of changing into her birthday gift from her big brother. 

Ruby giggled as she twirled around in her birthday outfit before grabbing her necklace out of her drawer and putting it on before running downstairs

Ruby giggled as she twirled around in her birthday outfit before grabbing her necklace out of her drawer and putting it on before running downstairs. "Hey birthday girl!" said Dottie with a smile. "Hi, Mommy, hi, Daddy!" said Ruby with a smile as she sat down at the table. "I see you're wearing your brother's birthday present." said Bob eyeing his daughter up and down. "Yup! I LOVE it! Thanks, Tony!" said Ruby hugging her brother who was sitting right next to her. "Welcome, Ruby!" said Tony hugging her back. "Hurry up and eat you two before we're late for work!" said Bob placing two plates in front of his kids. Both Ruby and Tony hurriedly ate their breakfast before following their dad to his car. 

After maybe an hour's drive, they arrive at the McAshton Estate. Both Ruby and Tony climbed out of the car while their father walked over to greet an older looking gentleman. "Ah!! Mr. Thompson, I see you've brought along a few new faces!" he cried cheerfully looking over at Ruby and Tony. "Yes, Lord, McAshton, I'd like you to meet my kids, Ruby and Tony." said Bob placing a hand on his children's shoulder's. "Why is one of them dressed as a vampire though?" asked Lord McAshton eyeing Ruby worriedly.. "My big brother picked it out for me cause today's my birthday!" said Ruby happily. "Really? Well now, a Happy Birthday to you young lady. And how old are you?" said Lord McAshton as a sense of relief washed over him. "I'm seven!" said Ruby holding out her fingers to show him how old she was. "Well now, practically a young adult now aren't we?" joked Lord McAshton making Ruby laugh. As they were talking, a red truck covered with lights all over the top pulled in. Ruby immediately hid behind Tony knowing fully well whose truck THAT was. Tony wrapped his arms protectively around his sister as Rookery stepped out with his head all wrapped up in bandages. Ruby couldn't help but laugh quietly. Uncle Fredrick REALLY must've hit him hard on the head! "Excuse me." said Lord McAshton walking briskly over to the hunter. "Ruby, Tony, you two stay away from that man, you hear me? He's crazy!" said Bob leading his two children away from the two men who had engaged in conversation. "Ruby...." whispered a female voice making Ruby tense as she looked around. "Ruby...." it called again. Ruby looked at her father who had engaged in conversation with one of his coworkers before walking off. It felt like she was in a trance. Like both the stone and the voice were trying to lead her somewhere. Tony had also noticed his little sister walking off and ran after her. "Ruby! Wait for me!" he yelled when he was sure he was out of earshot of their Dad. Ruby continued to walk until she saw Lord Mcashton and Rookery enter what looked like a crypt. Ruby tilted her head as she lifted up her dress and ran towards the crypt. She ended up on a platform high above what appeared to be a stone coffin. "Close, Ruby, your close!" whispered the female voice. Ruby slowly knelt down as she watched the two men. She couldn't just go down there. Rookery would get the stone for sure if she did. "Ruby! Why'd you run off like that!?" hissed Tony kneeling next to his sister. "Sh!" whispered Ruby pointing below them. Tony looked down just as Rookery had finished opening the coffin and opened the lid. Ruby could see it was empty as she gripped two of the railings. Tony did the same only his ended up coming lose causing it and Tony to go forward. Ruby's eyes went wide as she grabbed her brother's arm and managed to pull him up before anyone noticed. "Thanks!" whispered Tony. "Welcome, now, come on, we've got to get down there without being spotted!" whispered Ruby. "Why? What's the big deal about this place, Ruby?" whispered Tony. "Tony, I think my parents are buried here. My real parents! I can hear my mother. She's calling me. She wants me to find them!" whispered Ruby. "But how are we going to get down there without being spotted!?" whispered Tony. "Grab my neck." said Ruby. "What?" asked Tony. "Tony, hurry!" whispered Ruby noticing Lord McAshton and Rookery getting ready to leave. "OK! OK!" whispered Tony wrapped his arms around his sister's neck from behind. Ruby placed her hands firmly on the wall. "Don't let go!" she whispered. Tony nodded as he gripped on tighter. Ruby heaved a sigh before using her hands and first and then her knees. Soon, she was climbing up the old wall up to the ceiling. Both siblings looked down and saw Rookery and Lord McAshton leaving the crypt. Ruby and Tony looked at each other grinning ear to ear. "Ruby! Your vampire powers are kicking in!" cried Tony excitedly. "I know! I've been practicing the whole day the other day when I was in my room!" said Ruby happily as she climbed back down on the ground. "Now let's see if we can find your parents." said Tony. "You aren't upset? That I want to find my real Mom and Dad and bring them back?" asked Ruby. "Ruby, your always going to be my little sister. And if wanting to reconnect with your vampire parents makes you happy, then I'm happy." said Tony. Ruby smiled as tears formed in her eyes and she hugged Tony tightly. "No matter what, you'll always be my big brother, Tony!" she whispered. "Now come on! Daddy told me in a dream that we only have tonight to bring them back otherwise I may never see them again! The comet Rudolph was talking about is tonight! And Daddy said that if the comet should show up on the night of the wearer's birthday, then the stone can grant them anything they want! I can wish for my parents to come back!" "Then what are we waiting for! Lead the way!" said Tony as Ruby ran into the back corner of the crypt and pulled on a pillar to reveal a secret door. "Come on, Tony, this way!" yelled Ruby being down the passage way with Tony right behind her.