IX. Sharing

{a/n: the above image is Bella's ball dress that is described later in the chapter. enjoy! :)}

A couple weeks went by and I didn't have many interactions with the boys besides tutoring, which seemed to help their concentration. I got word from Trelawney that George got a B on his midterm exam while Fred got a C. I was so insanely proud of them for actually paying attention to me, I wanted to hug them and congratulate them, but with the ball approaching soon, I didn't want to risk one of them asking me when I saw them.

Everyone seemed to be finding a date rather quickly. Everyone but me. Ron had asked Hermione, like he said he was going to. Harry finally gathered up the courage to ask Ginny, which Ron wasn't happy about at first, but he eventually got over it. I thought maybe Luna and I would go as friends, but when I asked, she said some Hufflepuff girl asked her already as a date.

"You can come with us, as a group, if you'd like," Luna generously offered.

"No, that's okay, have fun with your date, she sounds nice." I barely smiled. I was happy for Luna for finding a date, but I just wish I had one of my own.

***

About two days before the ball, Hermione approached me, reminding me that I had two options already for a date.

"Don't you dare say it."

"Well, they are your only options now!"

"I'm not going with Fred or George," I grumbled, angrily, wishing Hermione would drop the subject. "I won't do it. I'd rather go alone."

***

The day of the ball, Luna and I spent it getting ready in Hermione and Ginny's room. Luna offered to do everyone's makeup and she was surprisingly really good at it.

I wore the dress my mother wore to her yule ball, which I stole out of her closet for this very reason last time I was home. She never noticed, or at least she never asked me about it. It was a sleeveless light blue gown with a leaf pattern all over. As much as my mother and I disagreed on things, I wanted to wear her dress in her honor. It was absolutely gorgeous and I felt gorgeous in it.

We all headed to the ball together as a group and I felt so left out, being the only one who didn't have a date. We all jokingly made fun of Ron's outfit, which his mother made him wear and it felt nice to laugh with my friends again. I haven't done that in a while since I isolated myself from Fred and George. I never realized that I had isolated myself from the rest of my friend group as well.

Upon arriving at the ball, I sat myself at a table as all my friends went off to dance with their dates. I glanced over and noticed Fred and George arrive with their dates. My eyes began to water slightly at the sight of them with dates, but I quickly attempted to dry them, so as to not ruin my makeup. I couldn't help but to be upset. They both looked dashing in their suits and I wanted nothing more than to dance all night with them. But instead, they danced with their dates for a while as I sat by myself and picked on the refreshments.

Around 9 o'clock, I noticed the twins making their way over to me, leaving their dates to dance with each other.

"Having a good time, Blue?" George asked, sarcastically. Instead of answering, I gave him a rude glare.

"We have something for you." Fred grinned, holding out a small sack. I snatched it from his hands, suspiciously, and opened it up to find forty shining galleons. I made my best attempt to smile at them.

"You won. Aren't you happy?" asked George.

"Yeah, of course," I sighed, but I wasn't happy and they could tell. If someone had told me in the beginning of the year that I would be dying to attend the ball with Fred and George, I would've laughed in their face, yet, here we are, and I'm miserable.