Prologue

Chapter 1

Y/n was a regular girl. Born in 1883 Manhattan, New York. She came from a poor family and lived in a very tiny apartment above her fathers shop that didn't do very well. Everyday her father was losing customers. One day, in the summer of 1893 when Y/n was only 10 her parents died in a fire. That day a customer gave her father $100 and told him to keep the change. He took her mother out to celebrate, leaving Y/n at home working on her studies. Then Y/n received a knock on the door. It was a police man. He said "I am very sorry to inform you that your parents have passed in a fire downtown"

Y/n's world fell apart. The next day her landlord kicked her out of the apartment. She didn't look for any old regular job. No, she wanted to become the first female newsie in Manhattan. She went to the newsboy lodging house and went up to the first boy she saw.

"Can I help you?" He said.

"Do's ya know how I's can become a newsie?"

"Buy some papes, sell em, and bam ya' make some money"

"Okay. I'm Y/n L/n by the way"

"Jack Kelly at your service ma'am"

Jack was 2 years older than Y/n and she was like a little sister. Y/n moved into the lodge and became the first female newsie. Jack gave her some old clothes that her didn't fit and and gifted her a newsie's cap for her 11th birthday. For a couple days she shared a room with Specs, Racer, Henry, Albert, and Elmer until Jack invited her to stay with him and his best friend Crutchie in his "Penthouse" upstairs. When Y/n and Crutchie met something clicked. They became friends instantly, they even started selling papes together. Soon enough Crutchie and Y/n started devolving feelings for each other but not wanting to ruin their friendship they both stayed silent.